Catching Up [Attn: ST]

What do you choose? A poisoned rose, or a knife in the shadows?
QuicksilverFox85

Catching Up [Attn: ST]

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:48 am

Damien Wetherford
Darkling Hunterheart | Wyrd 1 | Presence 3 | Eidetic Memory | Fast Reflexes 1 | Iron Stamina | Lethal Mien | Trained Observer 1
Set between Show Me What You've Got and Homecoming

While he had taken part in a number of the motley's foraging runs, both to help in the gathering of supplies and to familiarize himself with the plants that bore the hedge fruits he worked with, the vast majority of Damien's trips outside of the hollow led to the city's public library and the stores of knowledge maintained within. Getting access the Internet for current news and the occasional snooping on his doppelganger was always a part of such visits, but more often than not he could be found perusing the shelves, claiming tomes from a variety of sections. There were always a number of books on recent history in the mix, allowing for a more in-depth read on what had happened in the eight years since his forceful removal from the Ironside, but the rest ran the gamut - textbooks on subjects he hadn't touched on in years, guides for improving his skills in their makeshift kitchen, even the occasional novel to spice things up a little. Most would be devoured over the span of a few days, ready to be returned and traded in for a new set in short order. It was a little piecemeal, perhaps, but every little bit helped in reconnecting to the world he'd left behind and finding a new place for himself in it. He had no intention of claiming his old one, after all; he only wanted one thing from that life, and his fetch could have the rest of it as far as he was concerned.

The Darkling adjusted the stack of books he had in hand as he made his way down the aisles, pausing at one point to look over the collection of French texts arrayed on the shelf. He had been fluent in the tongue before - and still was as far as he knew - so grabbing something to help brush up on it wouldn't hurt...
Your friendly neighborhood Latin Nerd
"Pay no attention to the man behind the Storyteller!"

Jakondite
Site Admin

Re: Catching Up [Attn: ST]

Postby Jakondite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:45 am

To some extent, every member of the Chess Club - save perhaps Diamond - had some reason or another to make the trip with Damien. Enough that some of the time, they had to cut people off so that a large group didn't become conspicuous (because who wouldn't notice 20-30 people going en masse somewhere? You want to keep the chance of fetch-to-lost interactions to a minimum, you lower the amount of people traveling).

But there were those who had... more inclination than others to find themselves on the ironside of things. People who DID want their lives back, or who wanted to know what they'd lost. People who - like Damien - were interested in learning how the world had changed.

They were different now - how they approached their problems were different - but the problems themselves often could be similar in nature.

Shelby was one of the ones who came frequently. A part of you suspected she was hoping to get pulled over by a certain cop, but she kept trying ways to spy on her ... lost love? Whatever classification Tyler was, as well as yours.

Artie was another one of the ones who frequented the Ironside. Artie was in the awkward position of having a fetch who made something of himself, and who the only thing he lost was things he would have lost for reasons not related to being taken. He came out often enough to learn about how things had advanced, and try to figure out what it was that he was going to do for his life... and, apparently, get roped into Shelby's shenanigans which involved tracing and tracking people.

Richie was another who was easy to get out, but it wasn't the library he wanted to be on - it was the streets, making new relationships and learning about people. By this point, Richie had what people would call... connections. Just not the kind of connections most would want to have.

Then there was the most conspicuous ironsider of the Chess Club: Victoria. It was always awkward taking her somewhere, because somehow she managed to attract every eye that she possibly could. People assumed she was a model, a celebrity - and at least once, someone asked her if she was Amber (not by name - they asked if she was the goddess of desire on torn town). Pictures ended up getting taken, people ended up getting glared at... it was a right mess.

Today it was a group of four - because even numbers were good in case the group wanted to split up and go in different directions - it didn't completely trap one person to go along with the will of two others (though of course, if three people wanted to go in one direction, said person be trapped). Victoria had found herself a little corner on the second floor where she could keep an eye on the entrances and her surroundings a bit better but still be on a computer. Artie was on another computer, doing what amounted to an errand for someone else on the web - just looking things up. Shelby was probably the only person besides Damien actually looking at -books-. Specifically, books with art in them - some because they were graphic novels or manga, others because they were literally designed with art in mind.

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:18 am

Damien Wetherford
Darkling Hunterheart | Wyrd 1 | Presence 3 | Eidetic Memory | Fast Reflexes 1 | Iron Stamina | Lethal Mien | Trained Observer 1
After a few moments of mulling Damien nabbed a book or two from the foreign languages section - both French and Latin, because why not see how much of the latter he had retained as well? - before continuing on down the aisles, giving Shelby a quick up-nod as he passed her section of choice to let her know that he was done with his selection for this particular trip.

Hazel eyes scanned those gathered as he exited into the more open areas of the library, casually making a beeline towards where Artie was set up for his own research. He slid into an open chair nearby, setting the books down before looking the pawn over. "How goes?"

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:24 am

"Not too bad," Artie said, quieter than his fingers tapped on the computer. He's got open about 30 or so tabs at the moment and an instant messenger, as well as unlimited time on his computer (since they did have timers on that). "You find everything you were looking into?"

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:40 am

Damien Wetherford
"Yeah, and a few extra things because why not." Damien nodded, eyeing the collection of tabs on the screen with a small smirk. He would fully admit that what he knew about computers beyond 'search for things and check e-mail' had fallen to the wayside over the years in Arcadia, and the sheer wizardry that Artie could call upon on that front was impressive to say the least. "Looks like you're busy..."

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 am

"I've been adapting. Everything's evolved so much since we left, I've been having to pick up the basics. I'm still trying to figure things out, you know? But a lot of people need things. Really, I'm not doing much - kinda just being nosey and trying to figure out what I can do to help the group. This not being my computer grossly limits what I can do though. That and occasionally looking up our motley members. I try not to be too invasive about it - more a 'what people know' kind of thing than a 'this is your social' sorta thing, but... sometimes its hard to tell the difference for me." He shrugged and then said, "Shelby said you were looking into a dude named Ryan?"

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:04 am

Damien Wetherford
"I can imagine. Whole lot to catch up on all-around."

"Gotcha. Finding anything interesting on that front?" Damien looked over the screen. "I've been keeping an eye on mine and the guy makes my teeth itch. He's pretty much everything I fought against turning into."

The mention of Ryan made him pause briefly before he gave a small nod. "Yeah...Ryan Breckenridge. We were...close before I left, but haven't been able to find much on what he's been up to since."

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:17 am

"He's getting married next year," Artie said, shrugging. "Shelby had me look him up for you. Not sure if I can set up a meeting, but might be able to get you where he frequents so you can 'run into' him."

"And yeah, I found a bit on others. Not sure how much I should really show but... Victoria got me curious." He paused and said, "She was looking up our old high school year books and doing some checkups on old classmates. Which I think is something we should all be doing. Looking into old ties, seeing if we can find anything to help... keep us rooted. I mean, besides each other."

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:37 am

Damien Wetherford
Damien's head snapped towards Artie at that particular revelation, a low rumble wrapping around the words that followed. "He's doing what? To who?"

A part of him chided himself for the reaction - of course he would have moved on, especially after whatever his fetch did to cause him to cut ties so thoroughly - but the ache that the thought caused to blossom in his heart went deep indeed. He took a deep breath and let it out slow, reigning in the flood of emotions that roiled through him as best as he could as he ran a hand through his hair. "Yeah...probably not a bad idea. I know there are a few of the folks I hung out with before that have cut ties with the other me, may be worth trying to get a hold of them again."

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:45 am

"Yeah, I figured that bandage needed to come off now, rather than later. Sorry for the bluntness about it, but yeah - I saw a few notes about it. Not sure on the 'to-who' yet but there is mention of a wedding on some of his friends messages. I could break into the whole system but... not my computer, don't want to risk drawing attention to us."

Return to “Changeling”