Impossible Beauty [Log: Damien, Diamond]

What do you choose? A poisoned rose, or a knife in the shadows?
QuicksilverFox85

Impossible Beauty [Log: Damien, Diamond]

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 am

Set after Courtly Inquiries

Shelby
There it was again. That bug. That itch. That.... urge that seemed to overcome her. Shelby was a pawn, but her Kith was wrapped and dazzled in paints and artworks that reflected an almost secondary nature to her pawn role. And ever since they'd been given the hedge fruit, she'd had this dream. Lying in it, her lips caressing a fiery set of feminine lips, her body intertwined with desire itself. The thoughts made her shudder strangely, because the dream was -always- sensual like that, and it was always encased in a burning air.

She'd not mentioned it. It wouldn't be polite. But when she was younger, there were girls like Amber and boys like Amber whose features were just... impossible not to desire to put on the paper. It worked best with still models, but since seeing her, Shelby couldn't get the other woman out of her head. An itch, a dream, a perfect model. Only the dream warps the reality into something it isn't, yet it -felt- more like her than the physical girl that she'd seen in the flesh.

It was Amber, in a way, who had caused Shelby to start waking up in the middle of the night, aroused when she shouldn't be aroused and really wanting Tyler to satisfy the itch that was in her and keep her mind away from the fire. It was Amber that had made her hands tremble with the thought of the paper, of going back to it. But she was different now, and art was a luxury.

Or was it? Max had gone out and grabbed games of all things to play - so why should it be weird of her to take some colorful hedge fruit and work out some paint? Get the wool off a hedge beast or flower and build a canvas? Steal some of Lily's hair, and crush the flower petals into a beautiful fragrance, a beautiful oil and beautiful paints... Lily was, after all, one of the prettiest girls she knew, and the embodiment of desire, so paint made from that seemed like it might be a good reciprocal for the art.

These little urges and itches tended to come up in the middle of the night, when it was quieter and she had some space. Also, it was easier to steal Lily's hair when she was sleeping. It did require prep - no one would not be aware that she'd gone out with Ross to some materials, though they probably didn't know the extent of the urge. That in the middle of the night, she'd try to come out and sketch, paint, or otherwise bring out life onto a variety of canvasses to emulate one single encounter with one single girl.

"What... are you..." Shelby muttered in the common room to herself, eyes red and black around the outside with her own painted obsession, fingers serving as brush to build upon her masterpiece.

Diamond
*Well she had her own nightmares... if she could call them that... yet she was calling them that because they made no sense to her... and when she woke up in the middle of the night and faced the loneliness of her room... she decided to just peek out for water, or a munch... not really thinking anyone would be out and about at this time*

*of course when she came out and heard Shelby she froze mid-stride and blinked... then peered*

Damien Wetherford
Diamond wasn't the only one whom Morpheus had paid a less-than-pleasant visit to, it seemed, as Damien emerged from his room not long after the Elemental did. A book was tucked under his arm and he had started to move towards one of the couches in the common room before the Artisan's work - in particular what was depicted - made him stop short. "The hell..."

Shelby
"Not hell," Shelby said, working on it, breathing. "Not Heaven either. Definitely sinful yet... I can't... quite... capture it. Like it's missing something, but... but I don't know what?"

"I don't know. It's like, stuck there, you know? I can see her clearly in my head, and yet, I can't bring what's in my head to the canvass, which is strange because I can literally paint diamonds to life. In fact, I did so - just to try it." She motioned to the side, where there were some colored diamonds. "But when I try to paint HER I just get... this blasphemy."

Diamond
*she blinks, peering to Damien... and oddly enough where two days ago she might have hidden FROM Damien, now she moves behind him to peek at Shelby, then her diamonds, then her painting* is that... the girl with Anavel?

Damien Wetherford
"That's one way to put it..." He muttered to himself, looking over the painting with a quiet frown. Although the appearance didn't quite match the feelings that the image stirred up were pretty on the mark, and he couldn't say he was happy about that fact. "Yeah...Amber."

Shelby
"It's trying to be, but it's not. It's a pale image that can't capture that... divine spark she seemed to have. Was it the eyes? Was it the smile? The slope of her breasts, the way she moved her legs? I don't know. The fire seems the most intoxicating thing about her, and the most 'her' I've managed to make, but everything else feels like something is off..." She hrmed, and said, "Like, when she walked into the room, she controlled it. All eyes were on her, and you couldn't help but enjoy her presence even when she said some things that would make anyone else get jumped. She is like the ultimate expression of a work of art, yet I can't bring it to canvass." She sighed, dramatically and frustrated, "Maybe it's -me-. Maybe I'm inadequate as an artist, and lack the capacity to capture that surreal quality that transcends sex and gender and all known sense in the world."

She looked to Diamond, and said, "Diamond,Damien, what's wrong with this piece of art? What is it missing? Can you tell? I need perspective!"

Diamond
*she... blinked, then uuhhhed, eyeing the image, then Shelby, then the image, then Shelby* m... maybe y.. you ju.. just need to... know her... better?

Damien Wetherford
Standing behind him as she was, Diamond could almost feel the tension radiating off of Damien as he looked over the painting, the recollection of what Amber's presence had stirred up as uncomfortable as the emotions themselves had been at the time. "I didn't look at her all that closely, to be honest."

Shelby
"God, I didn't look at her closely enough. The others were right, she couldn't be a human, not as perfect as she was, but god - she wasn't a fae either, that I could tell. Unless you can hide that? But why would she? Anyways. You're right, Diamond, I need to know her better. I didn't get a good enough look at her either. I need to get her here, and get her naked and to let me examine every inch of her body until it's imprinted in my mind if I want to perfect this, and even then I'll still need her here modeling to compare my mistakes. You think she'd go for that? Nude modeling?"

She gasped, "What if it's the canvas?! I wonder if she could be the canvas for the story of her own image... but wait, how would that work, and would it diminish from her natural beauty or enhance it..."

Diamond
*She blinks, as Shelby go on nakedness and examining and.....a peek up to Damien, feeling his tension then to Shelby, the To Damien, she had honestly kind of tried not to pay attention, but that woman -was- alluring, but... they both seemed...* uh... I don't know? m.... y.. you could ask.. a... Anavel?

Damien Wetherford
"I wouldn't know..." He finally tore his gaze away from the painting and looked towards Shelby. "And I don't think that would be a good idea, honestly."

Shelby
"I could. She must have some form of contact information," She breathed and then looked to Damien, "Why not?"

Diamond
*She peered again, then made a little sighy sound* I... I'll go back to try to sleep *she said softly... before she scampered back to her room*

Damien Wetherford
"Because I think she's dangerous to be around." His lip curled up a touch as he spoke, adding a bit of a rumble to the words. "Ross and Richie almost threw down over her just by being around her, and you're...fixated on her after meeting her once."
Your friendly neighborhood Latin Nerd
"Pay no attention to the man behind the Storyteller!"

Jakondite
Site Admin

Re: Impossible Beauty [Log: Damien, Diamond]

Postby Jakondite » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:38 pm

"Fixated on putting her on paper, yes. That's not unique to her though, I always loved to draw. Anyone who caught my eye, who I felt needed to be immortalized..." She smiled whimsically. "Even drew you once, back when you first transferred. You have no idea how disappointed I was when I learned I wasn't exactly your type."

Her gaze flickers over to Damien, considering. "Honestly though, the way your talking almost makes it sound like your scared of he--"

Shelby's word cut off at the beginning of the R sound, never quite finishing as her jaw dropped and she stared at the painting. After a brief moment she spoke with almost breathless amazement, "That's it..."

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Damien Wetherford
Damien's eyebrow arched a touch at that, the compliment of sorts unexpected to say the least. "Sorry to have disappointed you..."

He paused as she continued, though, eyes narrowing. She wasn't wrong, honestly; the woman stirred up things that he had spent far too long trying to elicit on his own only to finally realize them for the lie that they were, and to say their reemergence set his teeth on edge was an understatement. "Scared may be taking it a bit too far but I don"t like being around her, no."

He eyed Shelby as some sort of realization dawned, looking her over curiously.

Shelby
"We have to go," Shelby said, nodding, more to herself than anyone else. "Diamond, Damien, get dressed and armed. Be quiet, lets try not to wake up everyone; But I know what the picture is missing, and I know where we need to go to get it."

Diamond
w...what?!

Damien Wetherford
"And where is that, exactly?" The Darkling watched Shelby somewhat warily, arms crossed and not making any move towards his room just yet. There was a high probability that he would go regardless, if only to make sure that the Artisan didn't get in over her head, but that didn't mean he would be happy about it.

Shelby
"To the Market," Shelby said with a smile. She paused and said, "Though, we're gonna wanna wake up Richie... or Ross... Artie or... really any of our more fervent hedge fruit gatherers, but I know Richie at least knows where it is, because he's the one who told me about it. Apparently, there are these places in the hedge, goblin cities and goblin markets, where they have their own groups and societies and where they sell... literally anything you can dream up. Including magic, for that matter."

Diamond
uh.... that... d..d uhm... y.... you can go with them...

Damien Wetherford
"I really don't think this is a good idea, Shelby." He shook his head, glancing towards the other knight"s room before looking back to the pawn. "For one thing, we don't have weapons, barring what I can call up for myself. Two, it's the middle of the night, and I doubt that this market is a good place to be right now. Three, even if we do go we don"t have anything to trade."

Shelby
Shelby looked over at them, and said, "You two are practically weapons in of yourselves, and if we're careful then we won't even need weapons. A group of three or four is small enough to avoid the more dangerous things out there, and strong enough to keep us safe enough to get there. Stealth means that it actually would be better to be there at night - especially for -you- Damien. It plays to your natural powers. As far as what we have to barter, your wrong. We don't have -money-, but we have plenty to offer. Services. Hedge Fruit we gather on the way. Memories and experiences bottled to be given away to the highest bidder... hell, I recall a millers daugher made a deal with a goblin for him to spin gold and win her husband, in return for her firstborn. So you know. Options exist, its less a matter of having it and more what we're willing to pay. I think we can safely agree no one is selling anyone else, but barring that all bets are off."

Diamond
I.. I can't fight! ....*and then she STARES at her* I.... d.. don't even.. have me.. memories... I uh....*she juuuust starts to edge towards the room, yea, under her bed is starting to sound better and better*

Damien Wetherford
She had a fair point on the stealth front, he had to admit, but the idea still rubbed him the wrong way for a number of reasons. He motioned to Diamond for her to stay put but kept his eyes on Shelby as he spoke. "What is it you're needing that's this important?"

Shelby
Shelby smiled almost triumphantly, and said, "Fear. I need fear to perfect this painting. I'm thinking specific flavors of fear, but that's what she's missing I think. Amber, she's more than beautiful - that beauty is so intoxicating, it's like a living nightmare dressed as a dream. She's like sin - you know you shouldn't, but you still want to even though your scared and terrified, even though you'll be punished - by yourself or the world. She's like the temptation or need to break a promise, the reward so sweet that the promise you make ceases to matter. She's like Victoria in that sense, but Victoria's fear that she inspires is more obvious and more palpable - with Amber, its like..."

She gripped at the air, trying to formulate the thought, then let her hands 'explode' as she found the words, continued and said, "She's like a beautiful fire. You know it can burn you, but can't help but to play with it."

Diamond
*Eh.. she stopped.... gave another little step back.... then stopped... eyed Shelby.... yea.. she was scary right now....*

Damien Wetherford
"Right...and what would you trade for that, if you can even find it?"

Shelby
"Hey Diamond, you can move these, right?" Shelby pointed to the Diamonds she had painted.

"Let me ask you something," She said, looking to Damien. "Theoretically: What would you trade someone for, say, the ability to speak with a certain, very specific boy right now. Just - randomly. Offer anything you like. What would you trade for it?"

Diamond
I... don't know? *she eyed the diamonds, then Shelby, yea.. she was NOT going with them!*

Damien Wetherford
Damien was about to say something but paused, his eyes narrowing as the example she invoked visibly struck a nerve. His gut answer was simple - anything - but he pulled the reins back hard on the thought, knowing how dangerous that sort of bargain could be. "I'd rather try to do it myself first, honestly."

After a moment he sighed, shaking his head. "Fine...if we're going to do this, go get Richie. I'll go get dressed."

Shelby
"You would, I get that. Don't ask them for that at the market, your answer is fairly obvious and they'd use that. But my point is there." She smiled and then said, "Alright. Now. Diamond. Your an elemental. A diamond elemental. Move those diamonds with your powers. Show me."

Diamond
I.... am.... not going to go? *she still tried.... to move the diamonds.... like... calling?*
II....

Damien Wetherford
Damien walked - well, more stalked, really, thanks to that feral edge rising once again due to the irritation roiling beneath the surface - back to his room, the door closing behind him as he passed though it. He leaned against it for a long moment, head resting against the wood and his eyes closed as he took in a deep breath and let it out slow. Every fiber of his being screamed that this was a bad idea, but there was no talking Shelby out of it and like hell that he would let her go off on her own.

Shelby
Shelby blinked, as though a little bit shocked, and said, "But... I need you to go. Those Diamonds are heavy and your the only Diamond elemental we have to carry them..."

Of course they moved. Just like in Arcadia, the elements that were attuned to her moved easily under her direction, almost like a telepathic grip. If you discussed it like discussing psychics, she'd be called a Geo-Kinetic, which meant she could manipulate earth-based qualities. Specifically things like diamonds. Diamo-Kinetic? Who knew?

Shelby shakes her head, and says, "No. You have to go, the matter is more a matter of what it will take to get you to go. An IOU seems a bit too open ended, even among friends, so how about this. These Diamonds are yours if we get out of market with them. If we don't, I'll make you some more. You need some, right? To help your contracts?"

Diamond
*She blinked, blinked, blinked.... no she had no idea if she needed them, and .... she eyed them, then her, then* yo.. your ma.. market s.. sounds... scary

Damien Wetherford
After taking a moment to compose himself Damien swapped out his pj pants for proper jeans and got his shoes on, emerging back into the common room and looking the girls over. "Ready when you two are."

Shelby
Shelby thought about that, considering, before saying, "I get being afraid. I really do. I don't want to be out and about a lot of the time because, honestly, I ... don't know what will happen. Maybe we'll get collected again. Maybe it will find us and bring us back. But maybe that will happen if we sit still too. The world is a scary place. Little we can do about that, but I know enough to realize that staying here and hiding just because something is scary won't help anyone, yourself included. Now you don't need to be at the Market, you don't need anything there that I'm aware of. But I want you there. Both to have the extra hands if I need them, and to get you out and let you see what it's like. It will be an experience for both of us. You go there now, when you risk nothing and things are... relatively safe... then you'll know what it's like. You'll be more prepared for if you find you need something from there when the stakes are much higher. And I don't think we have the luxury of believing the stakes will always be at the level of me needing to finish this painting that's keeping me up at night."

She paused, and looked to Damien, and said, "Ah. Sorry, I haven't grabbed him yet. Still talking with Diamond to come with us. I need to get dressed too. Shit. One second."

She moved to her room.

Diamond
*Yea... THAT did not convince her... she looked after Shelby... just... quiet*

Damien Wetherford
Damien nodded to Shelby as she headed off then looked to Diamond, thinking a moment before leaning in and keeping his voice low. "To be honest, I don't want to go either. But, I don't want to let her go by herself so I'm going. Strength in numbers does help, and having you with us will help."

Diamond
*She peered to Damien, whispering* w... t.. think I'll be... a.. any help... at all?

Shelby
Shelby, for her part, decided she was going to lose the pajamas for a her chess-uniform, which was that of a pawn set. It wasn't that it was her favorite outfit or anything, but of all the clothes there it was the only thing that had things that qualified as armor on it.

"Now to wake up Richie, without waking up Artie..." Wandering over to that direction.

Damien Wetherford
"Because we're all in this together." Damien replied with a small smirk. "That and something we run into there might help jog your memory...never know."

He looked over to Shelby as she emerged from her room, giving her a little nod. "May want to prod him from a distance if you can. He tends to pop up when he's woken up unexpectedly."

Shelby
She hrmed and then idly slipped into the room, testing the door to see if it was locked. She quietly whispers, "Richie?"

"Richie I'm coming in... kay?"

She slid into the room.

Diamond
*uhh.... she fidgeted, NOT convinced, giving him a really .... unsure look... but.... went to change*

Damien Wetherford
He watched as the girls went into the respective rooms, letting out a quiet sigh as a hand drifted up to massage the bridge of his nose. The sooner they could get this mess over with the better...

Shelby
Shelby... seemed to be taking her sweet time in there. If you pay attention and listen, you can hear the hushed sounds of agitation from Richie, followed by talking from Shelby, followed by something about why this couldn't wait till the morning, followed by please, pretty please pleasepleasepleasepleasepleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, followed by grumps, and whispered promises, and sudden eagerness and....

Shelby rushed out of the room, swiftly closing the door behind her. Her cheeks are fleshed and painted red. "Boy has -no- modesty."

Diamond
*She then came out, with jeans, and a sweater that seemed a tad big... or maybe it was only because it had that kind of hole to the side for the thumb that made it crawl over the knucles, and she fidgeted more, NOT sure at all about this*

Damien Wetherford
The look on Shelby's face broke through some of the tension on Damien's end, a smirk forming in short order. "You good?"

Shelby
"Yeah, I think Richie just got a liiiiittle too excited to go with us. I mean, I've seen him naked before, so I guess he's fine with getting undressed in front of us, but still - since we're not -there- anymore, its weird." She shrugged and smiled, looking over to Diamond, and said, "So your coming?"

She seemed happy with that.

Richie came out of the room, dressed in his own uniform for the moment - which actually looked like it was... well, knightly in a way. It needed to be patched up like most of their clothes, but it used to be pretty good armor as far as things go, up until certain conditions were unlocked making it weaker ... like, a pawn attacking from an angle. But as long as chess rules were not invoked? It had been decent.

It still was better than nothing.

"So. We're going to the market place? I'm pretty sure not, but just in case, you guys go to any of them yet? I don't know if any of the other foragers mentioned passing them or not."

Diamond
I....m.. maybe? *to Shelby, that is before she stared blankly at Richie*

Damien Wetherford
"Ah...gotcha." It didn't seem that weird to him, admittedly, but to each their own...

"That's the idea." He nodded to Richie as he emerged, eyeing the uniform and pondering for a moment whether he should grab his own for this particular run. "I haven't been yet, no."

Shelby
"Alright. Well... I'll be honest. I've only seen one personally - but we learned of about three there and managed to get directions. We'll be heading to a location called Gadget Town. Apparently, from what I understand the market there is small, but has most people's typical needs. Like the kind of thing that Shelby needs - materialized emotion and a few business arrangements called goblin contracts. There is this other place apparently called Freedom Harbor which has a bigger market but... I don't think Diamond would handle that place well."

Honestly, Freedom Harbor seemed like the kind of place even Richie, who was willing to deal with drug dealers and gang bangers, wasn't comfortable being in. Sometimes you needed to get a harder-to-reach product though and couldn't wait for certain other markets to open up on some auspicious time like a literal blue moon.

Diamond
*She frowned and fidgeted more*

Damien Wetherford
Damien nodded, filing that info away for later. "Good to know...let's get going then, yeah?"

Shelby
He nodded and Shelby smiled, moving to stay by Diamond while Richie spread a bit out. It always seemed, when they moved, that they moved in ways that felt... appropriate to their positions. Natural.

To outsiders, it might seem threatening, or weirdly synchronistic - but for them it was just... them.

They moved out into the Hedge, where things tended to get... weird. Beautiful and dark, but weird. The New Haven Hedge is much like the hedge in other places of the world - briars and thorns everywhere. It had a certain topology about it though, and unique characteristics that you could use to determine location relative to the 'real world', arcadia, and other places.

It was wet. Some places required swimming to really travel, but fortunately that was also something most of them knew - it was one of the mandatory classes for high schools in the area, due to the proximity to water. By now most would have likely forgotten any lifeguard training they had gotten as a result of those classes, but some things remain intuitive, and it wasn't like there were not locations in Arcadia where they had to utilize swimming skills either.

The good news is, if they REALLY can't swim, Richie can transform into an animal that can swim and carry them. The bad news is, that animal is a shark. Sharks scales hurt. A lot.

The hedge had a certain... echo about it. Reminders of your life, of things you couldn't really have anymore, or that you could have but it wasn't the same? The giggle of a child, the moan of a lover, the shout of an angry father and his disappointment. At least once, you hear Tyler's voice, giving a marriage vow. The thorns pricked, and that prick could be beautiful, or it could be painful, or it could be nothing.

But it was always something to someone in the group, even if they usually never brought up those little details.

Diamond
*She alsmot just ended scampering back into her room, but in the end she came along, fidgeting.... odd enough she will reach to either hold onto Richie or Damien, and stay close just ... just focusing on the path, not the noises, not the thorns, not the water, not the dark... just ahead...*

Damien Wetherford
Damien hadn't ventured out much truth be told, barring the paths between the Hollow and the Ironside, but he managed moving through the wilder parts of the Hedge well enough. He was athletic enough to be able to handle the parts where taking the plunge was necessary.

The echoes did seem to leave a mark, though, or at least a few of them did. He had no issue keeping an eye on Diamond as she gravitated towards him and Richie, using the presence of the others to assuage what the thorns dug up as they passed though them.

Shelby
"It's almost like the place is haunted. It's... surreal at night. Diamond, look at the stars." She pointed upwards, so that Diamond would look. The stars were beautiful out here, like in Arcadia. Not like the city, where the smoke choked the skies and the stars fled and hid, but beautiful and brimming. If you knew anything about astrology though, you'd feel a little... ill at ease, seeing those stars.

You'd know just how wrong that astral map was.

As they venture, they can see the hints of a small town in the distance. It looks like a market place, the kind of out-door location that you might see for a farmers market, only - instead of produce, it looks like... bobbles and gadets, odds and ends. You see a steam punk farmers market? It seems almost like that, except instead of aether you had things charged literally from the dreams, emotions, and vagueries that defined them.

One stall might have a spider gadget, that skittered along the wall. It was driven by the emotion of desire, and if you examine it closer, you might even be able to tell the desire of what. It watched the group as it entered into the area, and it wasn't the only thing that did.

"This..." Richie said, smiling, "Is Gadget Town. It was busier when I came here last. I imagine because its not daytime, but I don't think these places do."

Stall. Stall. Stall. They were not changelings like them, nor were they people, but rather, goblins. You knew what a goblin was - Arcadia had more than Keepers and Changelings after all, and many entities in Arcadia existed like these ones, native and fae, if not True Fae. There were changelings here too, quietly discussing marketing materials - but even with the small presence of all of them it felt... hollow and emptier than it should.

It felt like a market at night time, where rest was taken into consideration and negotiations were far quieter and more calm. They could also be far more sinister at night time too, and far more lax.

Diamond
*She shook her head at the sugetion... stll peeked... but kept a tighter hold, that is.. she peeked untill the spider thing scootered, then she blinked aaaand moved more behind Damien... staring at the place, and whispering* w.... we sho.. should ju... just head back....

Damien Wetherford
The Darkling put a bit of steel back into his spine as they entered the market proper, hazel eyes taking in the stalls and what was behind them, both as far as merchants and wares. There wasn't anything in particular he was looking for, but keeping an eye on what happened around the quartet was at the forefront of his mind.

He paused as Diamond moved behind him, looping an arm around her shoulders to help reassure her. "It's alright...we'll be in and out."

Shelby
"We'll be fine, Diamond. You brought the diamonds, right? Use them to protect yourself," Shelby smiled, and moved towards one of the stalls. The creature in it looked like some warped, mangled rabbit smoking a carrot-cigar. It's buck teeth are sharp as razors, and diamond tipped. As she approaches, he puffs a pile of smoke their way, and asks, "What the hell do you want?"

"Well now. That any way to treat a potentially paying customer?" Shelby asks, waving the smoke away as she looks at the... creature.

"You learn to live with it, if you want the goods. Just like I learn to deal with preppy little chess pieces always trying to swindle me. I don't see that fire bird you always bring around here. Where is she?"

"Fire bird?" Shelby asks, looking at the creature. "What fire bird?"

The creature blinks, before leaning forward to take a deeper look at you. Then blinks again, "Oh shit! My bad. I thought you were someone else. My eyesight aint what it used to be, pawnie. Your gonna have to forgive that. This your first time in Market?"

Diamond
*She peered up to Damien, then to Shelby, ah... aaaand just went on hodling onto Damien! yea,.. she had the diamonds... but what was she gong to to do.... make them hit goblings? ooooh... ok*

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Damien Wetherford
Darkling Hunterheart | Wyrd 1 | Presence 3 | Eidetic Memory | Fast Reflexes 1 | Iron Stamina | Lethal Mien | Trained Observer 1
Damien followed Shebly towards the stall she had chosen, his eyebrow arching up a touch as the Bugs Bunny knock off behind it started giving her lip. The talk of other chess pieces trying to swindle him caught his attention, naturally, as did the talk of the firebird. He looked over to Richie, as the other knight had been here before, and mouthed "Fire bird?" with a curious look.

His attention went back to the hob once he got an answer either way, nodding in response to its question. "First time, yeah."

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:12 am

Richie shrugged, as though to say he had no clue, and Shelby considered what the Goblin was saying before thinking that it wasn't worth her time to investigate. He'd said he mistook her for someone, so maybe his eyes just needed to be checked? He was smoking carrots, they said that was good for eyesight. Maybe there was a correlation? Dream logic at it's finest, only you had to stretch this so maybe not? "It is indeed. We're looking for fear."

"Fear? What kind of fear are you looking for? I got your fear of the dark, your fear of spiders, along with some spiders to go with it, I got a shard of fear, laced in the memory of one of your kind's father selling her to the Ocean, I got your fear OF fear, and maybe some autumn leaves. You name it, I've probably got it in stock. If not, just wait - we can figure some shit out for when we need to stock up."

Elsaa

Postby Elsaa » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:00 am

*Diamond... eyed them... but innevitably moved with when they moved... AND stayed behind Damien!*
riddle for mortals... or riddle for gods...?

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Damien Wetherford
Darkling Hunterheart | Wyrd 1 | Presence 3 | Eidetic Memory | Fast Reflexes 1 | Iron Stamina | Lethal Mien | Trained Observer 1
Damien stood up a little straighter as Diamond moved to hide behind him, looking over his shoulder at her with a small smile before going back to watching the hob and the area around them while Shelby handled her business. A part of him was curious as to what else they might be able to find in a place like this, but that could happen another time...

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:42 am

The hedge rustled a bit, the vines and foliage of the dark green fauna seeming almost to weave backwards within the grounds of the small town.

Shelby seemed to consider this a moment, and then asked, "Well I need it for paints, so the autumn leaves might do - providing that those are hedge-based autumn leaves with some dream symbolism to the concepts of fear, and not the leaves I can pluck out in the middle of the streets. You wouldn't be trying to con us with that, would you?"

"Who the hell do you think I am!? These leaves are the finest quality, picked from the grave of one of New Haven's Fallen Autumn King. Jeffrey Callows, you know the fellow? He sacrificed his eye in the Ritual of the Blind King, which spared the entire world a whole year from any of the Kindly One's Attentions and broke the Title of the World Binder. His grave grows an Ash Tree, which sprouts these leaves only once every autumn equinox. They are highly valued for use in Black Magics and Rituals, as well as a Tea which, if brewed correctly, can make one completely immune to fear for a week... though I pity the foolish soul who brews it improperly. I am sure they would more than suit your needs for a pastel or paint or whatever your artistic tastes require."

"That's.... quite a backstory for some leaves," Richie says, leaning to Diamond. "Think he's got something for all of his wares?"

"It is important to know your product," The rabbit says, smoking a bit more of his carrot cigar.

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:42 am

Damien Wetherford
"Probably." Damien replied quietly to Richie's question, making a mental note of the name and the tale to ask Anavel about when the chance arose. "Not a bad thing, though."

Diamond
*She peered towards Richie, shaking her head... she didn't know, but she was not going to call attention to her by talking!!!, stay behind Damien she did*

Shelby
"That sounds like a winner. What are we talking about as far as payment?" Shelby asks the Rabbit, who seems keen on replying but is swiftly interrupted.

"Apologies for interrupting but..." A gentle voice says from behind them. Turning to look, they'd see a man approach them, wearing a rather dashing suit. He was neatly trimmed, but as far as could be seen, he had no eyes. Instead, he had 'shades', which were either dark or so bright that you could not see what was behind them. So, maybe he had eyes, you just couldn't see them. His hands are covered in leathery gloves, and carries a cane on his person - a small skull at the edge of it, with two eyes the size of a fingernail in it that seemed to watch around them. As he moved closer, the hedge seemed almost to whimper, retreating further away from the stall. The air goes still and cold.

The Rabbit looks over to the man, and says, "Eeeh... what's up Doc?"

Shelby blinks as the new individual approaches, frowning at a new face closing in on them but not yet willing to chew him out for interrupting as she wasn't sure if he was another shopper or another shop.

"I couldn't help but overhear. Did you say something about a memory of one of the Lost?"

The Rabbit smiles, a fanged, bloody smile that seems especially sharp at his buckteeth.

"Excuse me, but can you wait? I'm kind of in the middle of something here." Shelby says to the strange... changeling?

Damien Wetherford
Damien turned sharply towards the unexpected voice, hackles raised a touch before he realized what he was doing and reigned himself back in. He took the man's measure - if that was the right term to use in this case - eyeing the hedge as the thorns began to retreat from his presence. "Evening."

Diamond
*And that was it, all she could not to yelp and hide under Damien, truth be told, she did turn!... and then... ever so discretedly... made sure she was between Richie and Damien, even making sure she was in distance to pull of Shelby into the 'boy's' savety zone... just in case*

Shelby
The Rabbit cleared his throat, and said, "Why yes, there is in fact the memory of a Lost in a shard here. A very special lost indeed. This might actually interest you as well, little Chess Piece - though I doubt you could afford it. This shard is a piece of the soul of a lost who spilled it on her way out of the hedge. It is, quite literally, the embodiment of one of her deepest rooted fears. It's also water, which means that you could use it in your paint."

"It'd be a waste to use another Lost's soul in an artistic work. This is all I wanted to know. Go ahead and see if you can get your leaves off of him. I'll stick around for the Icon."

"Wait. Now I want to know about this soul shard. What is that?"

"Oh you sweet summer child... you must be incredibly fresh from the hedge. Are you sure you should be out in the Market at this hour?" The hedge shuddered.

"I think she's fine," Richie said, looking to the man. He assessed the man as a greater threat than the shopkeeper, and maneuvered himself to better protect the pawn and trophy should something happen. "Though its kind of rude to interrupt another in the middle of a transaction, don't you think?"

"Not at all. Especially when dealing with wares of that value. I'm Dr. Stolis. I'm guessing you were part of the Black King's collection?"

Diamond
*She bit her lips hard, and peered to Damien, then at the DR, then at Damien and Richie, she calculated who might be the closes, then to shopkeeper, specially when he said water changeling... but nha.. there sure are more than one water... she peered to Damien again, and fidgeted a little bit*

Damien Wetherford
Damien slid into position as Richie made his own move, in sync with his fellow knight as always. The mention of the King made his eyes narrow, although a faint flicker of concern at the name being evoked flashed in his gaze. "And if we were?"

Shelby
"Curiouser and Curiouser. I had heard there was a newer Stranger in Wonderland who controlled a Chess Board. I'm sure there are many who'd like to question you about your experiences, to try to get an understanding of what's going on there and any potential weaknesses that one may have."

The Rabbit smiled and said, "You all have them. Shards. Icons. They get torn on the way out of your escape, or when you take a tumble through the Thorns. Little pieces of you that... you can't be complete without."

"They are highly valuable, both to the owner, and to any who collect them. You can often get a fair boon from the one who owns them though. Tell me, do you happen to know who the Lost is who it belongs to?"

The Rabbit shrugged, and said, "That kind of information is almost as valuable as the Icon itself."

Damien Wetherford
Damien's eyebrow arched a touch at Stolis' response, and only went up higher at the rabbit's explanation of the Icons. It made some amount of sense that part of them would have been left behind during the mad dash out of that hellhole, but the fact that they were a hot commodity was...concerting, to say the least.

"Right..." He looked the doctor over, frowning a touch. "What kind of people are you talking about on that front?"

Diamond
*She peered to Damien again, and fiiiidgeted a tad more at their conversation*

Shelby
"There are as many kinds of people who would collect them as there are stars in the sky. Huntsman, Keepers, Goblins, Lost both of our side and others. The Honest and the Wicked, and whosoever between. Tell me, Goblin, if I purchase your Icon, can I know who it belongs to as well?"

The Goblin Gruffed, and said, "Bought separately."

"A gamble, then. Tell me, Chess Pieces - which would you pick? To take the Icon itself, and the memory it holds, or to know who it was that the memory belonged to? If you could only pick one of course."

The Doctor looked between them, his face a polite smile.

Damien Wetherford
That hadn't been what he meant, admittedly, but Damien filed away the information given nonetheless. The question made him pause, honestly having to think on it. He spared Richie a brief glance to get his read on the situation before turning his attention back to the doctor. "Can you access the memory if it's not yours, or is that only available to the person it came from?"

Diamond
*she... was not liking this, at all.... but she dind't want to pull of Damien's sleeve to say so, because it would draw attention to her AND.. what if that memory was... She frowned, and eyed the Rabbit. They should have stayed 'home'*

Shelby
The Rabbit grumped, and said, "This is all very tiring. Look, I have a business to run. You wanna talk, do it somewhere else. You want to buy, then buy. But don't sit her chatting in front of me."

Stolis raised his hands, and said, "Alright, Alright. I understand your hesitation. I tell you what. You... Chess Piece, you were interested in the Autumn Leaves, right?"

Stolis smiled, and procured a leaf from his vest, and the Goblin snarled, "HEY!"

"I will give this to you, Goblin, for the Icon." Stolis said calmly. "Otherwise the girl gets it, and you lose two customers today. I assume you can understand the better bargain, here?"

Damien Wetherford
"Less hesitation, more wanting information before making a decision." Damien offered a small shrug, looking between the rabbit and the other Lost as the exchange suddenly got...interesting. He remained quiet for the moment, staying close to Diamond and ready to pull Shelby out of the firing range if needed.

Diamond
*She fidgeted even more.... and the reached and tugged of Damien's sleeve, then moved to whisper* we... should... getthememory

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:05 am

The Goblin smirked, and said, "Well, Doc, if you don't know how to drive a hard bargain. Only works though if the others have no real vested interest in the Icon, I think. You could give them the leaf, but that wouldn't stop me from necessarily having a customer. Hell, if they wanted the icon more all it would do is give them more to pay with, and then I'd be more libel to sell to them, getting the leaf and more to equal the Icons actual value, than to you for the... comparatively measly cost of one leaf."

"Measly? Hear that? The leaves are of measly cost," The Doctor smirked.

"Comparatively. The value of a leaf is still astronomical. It only comes out once a year!"

"And there is a whole Court who is better equipped to gather them, and only a month until that one day comes about." The Doctor countered.

Shelby looked between the Merchant and Shopper, discussing and negotiating between one another. A hand comes back to brush some hair out of her face, observing the negotiation. The Doctor had a better bargaining chip than she did (all she had was the Diamonds, at least that's what she had let the others know) and half the point was to learn about this Market and how it worked.

Her gaze shifted to Richie, wondering if they had anything that could be used to bargain with for this. She wasn't going to look at Damien for that kind of look, since you know. She could almost feel his sense of 'I told you so' already chipping her paint.

"How easy are those leaves to get, on that day?" Richie asked, looking to the Doctor.

The Doctor looked to the group, then to the Goblin, who smirked. The Doctor shrugged and said, "Depends on who you know."

"What he means to say is, as long as you got contacts high up in the Court of Madness, it's not a problem. If you don't know anyone, and are fresh out of the hedge? HA! That's a laugh."

Richie looked to the other four, as though asking whether or not they wanted to try to get the Leaf, or to get the Icon.

Return to “Changeling”