Courtly Inquiries [Log: Damien, Destiny, Diamond]

What do you choose? A poisoned rose, or a knife in the shadows?
QuicksilverFox85
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Courtly Inquiries [Log: Damien, Destiny, Diamond]

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:48 am

Set after

Storyteller
It wasn't actually that long after their last conversation, where they were trying to figure out how it was that Winter knew about Mindy. Lily had gotten to use the phone for the first time, which prompted a few jokes about deflowering the phone from Richie, who'd gotten back in time to see that with Mindy, Victoria, and Ross. Ross - more vocal of the two rooks in the group - had given him a sort of 'look' at the joke, but Lily took it in stride and seemed to find the joke at her kith's expense... at the very least, she didn't take it like a serious insult. More like a light rib.

They'd come back with a few more hedge fruits, the kind that looks like the ones that the Spring Court had given them. The stock was slowly dwindling as they weren't efficient at picking them out yet and they had to be careful in the hedge, but with them going out it was dwindling slower.

It was still, ultimately, better than food from the human side. Not because that food wasn't good, but because the Hallow didn't really have much in the way of electricity and cold storage. The storage units that they had been gotten could hold things for a while, but ultimately it was better for the hedge fruit. The bonus there was, of course, that in addition to feeding the group, it kept the groups glamour reserves pretty well sustained.

By the time that Lily is done with the phone, she's cleared her throat, and said, "So. Anavel is going to be coming over today. And I did ask her about the whole Winter King and Mindy business."

"Winter King and who business?" Richie said, perking his head up from nearby. Richie had a sort of... feral look about him for a knight, especially outside of his armor. When on the field, he'd have ridden on both a nightmare and a dragon, but here it was just the rider, not the steed. A part of the mind almost makes one feel like half of him is missing without a ride of some sort.

Mindy didn't say anything. She didn't often, but she was paying attention while sitting at one of the seats. She's quiet these days, most of the time - when she goes out, she's hiding behind someone, but otherwise she keeps to herself. Just a pawn with a messy tussle of blond hair. Right now, she sat next to the Black Queen, Victoria - though as always, there is a certain unease around the only "Black" Piece there.

Damien Wetherford
"That second card that he gave Diamond was for her, apparently..." Damien clarified, looking towards his fellow knight before glancing towards Mindy.

Diamond
*Diamond... Diamond had been sitting out of sight, and stayed there, though she did look, kinda of peeking through a couch 'arm'*

Destiny
Today her eyes where glossy, and despite looking "put together" She looked like she had not slept well at all. She had come out and sat in a chair, watching the black queen and mindy ..sorta. she looked more zoned out then staring but it was often a way of thinking for her.

"Those cards are invitations to look deeper or join isnt it?" She spoke up, her dark eyes that had a hint of red right now when the light flickered on them looked around "Its like they are really asking us to chose sides in a way. Are we going to look into seperate groups or try to join a group as a whole?" Yeah, she had been thinking

Storyteller
"I don't think we'd join as a whole. Apparently they have different beliefs and philosophies so... I mean... it sounds like a personal choice more than a group choice. But... I think you have a point on the whole 'sides' thing, Destiny," Lily said, looking to her, and smiling. "They are all bigger groups than us, I think, so there is merit to affiliating ourselves with higher powers but we also don't want to divide the group."

"Did you guys... talk about her or something?" Richie said to Victoria, returning to the topic of Mindy.

"You mean before you guys got there? I don't think we talked about any of the Chess Club. Before you were there, it was mostly just me and Diamond talking while casually accepting drinks from guys at the bar and then letting them know under no uncertain terms that we were so far out of the league that if a nuke went off in theirs we wouldn't even hear the sound of a pop."

"Seems kinda... bitchy, don't you think?" Ross said, looking to Victoria.

"They were the ones buying drinks. That doesn't entitle them to my nor Diamond's time," Victoria said looking to Ross.

"Wait, can we get back to the fact that apparently the Winter King knew about Mindy without actually being told about her? He called Diamond by her name and that was at least plausible that he guessed it, but Mindy is out there. That whole thing is starting to sound like it was staged or something." Richie said, sounding more than a little agitated.

"If it was, then it does certainly sound like an Invitation," Victoria said, "Though why only Diamond and Mindy, I've no clue."

Damien Wetherford
Damien nodded at Lily's assessment, looking towards Richie as he expressed some of the same concerns the Darkling had before. "I'm wondering how much the higher ups here know about us overall. We'll have to ask Anavel when she gets here."

Diamond
*oi... she peeked to Victoria aaaand just curled a bit more in the couch, that's how she saw it? she was just so overall not knowing what to do! and peered to Diamond, then to Lily... well she didn't know, so.... she dind't say anything on that, just listening*

Destiny
She sat up straight which gave her a some what regal appearance and sat comfortably. She looked between the group her eyes bleeding to red. She was pale white, like bone. Her hair was dark. Her lips red..snow white came to mind until she spoke and sharp teeth where visible: She looked like she could crunch bone, and tear sinew with ease. Her overly long fingers tapped the arm rest.

"Despite the crass explaination, Victoria is absolutely right. Buying drinks does not entitle men to their time and attention. We have put up with to much, to date, to even consider this a issue and if it takes being bitchy to get the point across ..and in some cases it does: It will be left alone. None of us need to be made bad or called to task for letting someone know with no uncertain terms that their attentions are unwelome"

She tilted her head and looked to the others talking. "Taking a court side..sounds familiar doesnt it?" She said sharply, annoyed at the thought but went on "There has to be a way to insure despite what we chose, philosopy wise that we remain as a group" Her shoulder rose and shrugged "Honestly, I am not suprised someone knew her name. Because....Id imagine with 'kings' and "queens" that they have their court spies. And we are a oddity having come out together...so it stands to reason they would search or watch us"

Storyteller
"I get that," Ross said, looking to Destiny, "But I also get that you don't have to take the drink. Someone buys you a drink, and your not interested, you turn down the drink and send it back. You don't invoke hospitality and then spit on it."

"I'm pretty sure drinks at a bar don't really fall under the laws of hospitality, Ross," Victoria shrugged, not really concerned.

"...Anyways. I don't know that I'd call it spying, per se. I mean, Anavel and Leone provided this place for us. It makes sense, they'd report to their higher ups. And, apparently according to Anavel, Mindy was likely noticed because Anavel took notice of her. Probably because she _stole my ice cream_" Lily gave Mindy a -look- as she said that.

Mindy smiled, but intuitively moved somewhat behind Victoria. Not literally though, couch space doesn't really allow for hiding behind folks.

"Anyways, speaking of hospitality, since Anavel -is- coming over we might as well invoke it ourselves. Who wants to help me prepare some of the hedge fruit for dinner?" Lily looked about, to see if there were any volunteers.

"You know, I don't think we ever asked, but we can assume that both Leone and Anavel are part of a Court. Leone's obviously Summer. She took out that thing that attacked Artie back when we escaped by herself, so it makes sense she'd be part of the Military group," Ross said, curiously. "But... I'm not sure about Anavel. She didn't seem like Spring, with the way that she and that Amber chick..." He couldn't help but smile and blush as he recalled the redhead but tried to shut out that imagine, "The way they got along. It was friendly, but it didn't seem like her image of the Spring Court was the kind of supportive one you give when your part of that group."

Diamond
*She looked at them, pressing her lips tightly before she whispered* m.. maybe... Destiny's right... s.. spies....*she peered around* co.. could that be?... I mean... or.. maybe... Anavel.. is... wtih... them?

Destiny
She lifted a long finger and said to Ross "Incorrect. Acceptance of a drink could be the implication of accepting attention, until that attention is no longer wanted. But, still, we can debate it another time"

She breathed in softly "ill help cook...um...I totally missed all the intricate details of the courts"She shrugs "fill me in?"

Storyteller
"She doesn't seem like that whole court of madness slash fear slash knowledge thing either. I guess either Summer or Winter, but really I don't think we know enough about the courts to make educated guesses about people's affiliations," Richie responded to Ross. He looked to Diamond, and said, "She's not really up in your face or angry, and doesn't seem like a harsh fighter. But you know, appearances can be deceiving. Water seems calm, until its not."

Lily, on her side, smiled and said, "Yeah, me and Damien can fill you in on what Amber, Leone and Anavel were telling us when they brought the hedge fruit. It's not much though, as we were at the time a bit more focused on the fact that they brought food and clothes than on politics."

She lead Destiny and Damien to the kitchen, where they talked to fill Destiny in on what they knew. There were, apparently, four - maybe five courts. Leone and Anavel actually debated that briefly while they were there, that there was a rumored 'fifth' court, but they weren't told the specifics on that or even how that was possible. What they were told was about four other courts. Those courts had a few names, some specific to the area, some that went outside it. Since the courts were tied to the seasons, most outsiders referred to them as the Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter Courts. They were also tied to emotions - Desire, Anger, Fear, and Sorrow, respectively, though how that fit into their philosophies Lily didn't know.

The "Spring" Court she'd heard called the Court of Innocence, and the Courtiers that were a part of it had the nickname 'Innocents'. From what they learned about them, they seemed very drugs, sex, and rock and roll-esque, which... was weird. How people could just go about their lives like that didn't make sense to Lily, but she figured Ross and Ritchie might have some interest there. They were also apparently called the Court of Ignorance, which she guessed was an insult?

The "Summer" Court was military, or at the least, they were supposedly fighters. They weren't given a lot of information on their additional names because Leone seemed distracted and distant, so Lily didn't know the nicknames for the Courtiers or the insider name for them. They were apparently really angry people. So Ross or Damien, if Ross didn't go to the Spring to follow the skirts.

The "Autumn" Court was like... sorcerers and stuff. So, also military, but from a different angle? They dabbled in lore, and knowledge. Their insider name (one of them) was the Court of Knowledge, or the Court of Madness. Courtiers were called the Mad Ones which seemed kind of unoriginal to Lily and she wondered if they weren't just being insulting at that point and that that might be something they want to ask Anavel when she got her. Anyways, Lily put money on Sabrina going in that direction. Hard money.

The "Winter" Court was the court dedicated to just... hiding. They were apparently called the Court of Night, the Court of Shadows, the Onyx Court and a few other things, but they were tied to sorrow and were ultimately spies and assassins. So the CIA. James Bond, if James Bond were an Alcoho--- Ok, James Bond! Anyways, she'd heard them called the "Shadows" at one point so... Anavel would give them more information on them, but Lily said she figured that the majority of people might be interested in that group, solely because hiding and being sad for a while sounded... kind of nice.

Diamond
*She hummed* but...that could be a why... he knew....

Damien Wetherford
Damien took point in the kitchen as had become his wont, looking over the fruits that had been gathered and sorting them out as needed. While he wouldn't say he was an expert by a long shot he had gotten fairly good at preparing what they had on hand to get the most out of it.

He nodded along with the court descriptions, smirking a touch at the assessment about him joining the Summer Court. Lily wasn't wrong, truth be told; going by what they knew of the courts it was the most likely choice of the four, although he wouldn't make up his mind until he"d had a chance to talk with someone from the court to get the full story.

Storyteller
Cooking with Hedge Fruit was, honestly, a learning experience. Arcadian food had been ecstatic - both in the sense of no food comparing and the sense of it being torturous and horrific. Before that, food was human. Hedge Fruit seemed almost like a careful mix of both sides, but cooking with it held a different rhyme and reason than human food.

Lily is horrific at it. Honestly, by the time she's finished or stopped, you are quite sure that her intent is to poison Anavel, because somehow she burned food when you lack a fire and stove and were making a salad. Years of being stuck as the Queen had had it's perks - she hadn't needed to cook. Nor been allowed to cook. Someone else was always there to cook for her.

.... Looking at the mess, you might wonder if that was because the Kings expected her to be served like a Queen, or because the Kings were legitimately concerned about what she'd do to the food.

It was up to the Bishop and Knight on whether or not they'd inform her that they were concerned about the state of the food, because Lily seemed oblivious to the food's screams.

Damien Wetherford
Damien would step in when some of the fruit started to char on its own, an eyebrow firmly arched upwards as he looked it over. "That's...not supposed to do that." He did his best to see if it could be salvaged if allowed, cutting around the burned bits as needed.

Destiny
"Ive had my fill of sorrow" She said as she took some fruit and started to cut it while listening. She eyed the fruit as it..well, she put that out of her mind and just helped cook, or do what was like cooking.

Diamond
*She kept quiet as.... well they went to cook and and and uhm..... that*

Storyteller
You aren't entirely sure what she did to get it that state, because nothing YOU do seems to fix it. Lily, on the other hand, says, "I think its nice. I mean, its a hedge fruit, who KNOWS how its supposed to react to other fruit. Anyways. We have enough for everyone!" She beams sweetly. Pieces of the food start to writhe, as though the hedge fruit is reaching out desperately calling for help.

.... Actually, that's not too unusual of hedge fruit. Usually it isn't this dramatic though.

There is a knock at the door, and Anavel's voice calling out, "Study. Enroll. Homework. Lots of Homework. I don't know if we're still doing the code word thing, but there you go."

"OH! She's here! Prepare the plates!" Lily says, smiling.

Damien Wetherford
"It hasn't reacted like that yet..." Damien replied, eyeing the fruit on the plate as it almost seemed to recoil from what had been done to it. He spared Destiny a brief glance before turning his attention back to the 'food', picking up a piece with a notable bit of hesitation to do a quick taste test. Probably not the best idea, but if it was as bad as he expected it to be he wasn't going to put that burden on anyone else.

Management:
Damien Wetherford has rolled an Stamina 2 + Subterfuge 2 roll (4 dice), getting 1, 10, 10, 7, 4, 8, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Damien Wetherford has 3 successes.

Destiny
She had turned her red eyes towards Damien as he taste tested it, she wasnt sure she wanted to serve that abomination of drama herself but. She wasnt sure what else to do and she wasnt sure if she wanted to taste it, and was a bit grateful when he tried. So, figured if he didnt die of food poisioning it as probably okay.

Diamond
*She perked as the door 'rang' and Anavel called, having an itch to go hide! but no.... Anavel was fine.... but... urhm.... well there were many there! she ... she hugged a pillow.... did their couches had pillows? did they?*

Storyteller
You know, you've tasted some pretty foul things in your lifetime. Rotting bodies, flesh worms, the liquid poison of a Knight's Toad....some of them were nightmares, but still - as you try to think of all the horrific things you may have tasted that were not specifically designed to kill you, you can't quite come up with anything in Arcadia that compared to this.

Lily had a gift. A dark, horrific gift that you can feel settling within the pit of your stomach. The most horrific part of this is a part of you wanted to try to take another bite and smile, just to let her know it was good.

It was almost Arcadian.

The flavor was a bizarre mixture of gummy sweetness mixed with chili spice and ripe greens, with a fishy kind of octopus taste (as well as feeling in the back of your throat). Ultimately, the contrast is alien and something that alone is not horrific, but combined could bring down an elephant.

Honestly, you can't even taste the burnt fruit. You wish you could, because it was everything you DIDN'T expect that hit you from that salad.

You manage to choke back the feeling of needing to spit it out. Hell, you manage to swallow, feeling it hit your stomach like an iron ball.

Richie goes to the door to open it for the young elemental, who smiles and said, "Evening, everyone! May I?"

"Yeah, come in," Richie says.

Damien Wetherford
Those watching Damien could see the battle going on in his mind as the taste of the fruit made itself known, waffling between swallowing it to send it on its way and being concerned about what it would do on the way down. Eventually he did swallow the bite, doing his best to surpress the shudder that ran down his spine as he did so.

He gave Anavel a nod as the door was opened before looking back towards Destiny, quietly mouthing "toss it" to the Ogre.

Destiny
"Ill just plate this" She said picking it up and going to move to the counter with better plates, and tripping over Damien dropping the food totally all over the floor "Oh my god. I am so sorry..Dont worry!" She put her hands up "Damien and I will um.. make something else!" '

Diamond
*She peeked from behind the pillow to Anavel, just out right jumping when the dishes crash and broke.... which made her jump to the other side of the couch, where she could see them with a couch as a shield*

Storyteller
As the food goes crashing, Lily looks in sheer horror as all their hard work hits the ground. Seeing Diamond though, she looks over, accepting the play, and saying, "It's okay. Are you okay?"

"Everything alright?" Anavel asked the group out of the Kitchen.

"Yeah, they were just... trying to get dinner ready for when you got here," Richie said, smiling to Anavel. "Come sit down, I'll get you a drink."

"Okay." Anavel said, before smiling to Diamond, "So - I hear you met Mattias."

Damien Wetherford
Damien stiffened up briefly at the unexpected contact with the Ogre, but once the moment passed he let out a slow breath and gave Destiny a little nod. "It's alright."

He crouched down to start cleaning up the mess, listening to the conversation starting in the common room as he did so.

Destiny
She had bent to pick up food too, carefully picking up a wiggling thing. She looked at Damien and her look said it all. She went about cleaning up and putting the destroyed food in the trash. "Now, where is the other fruit..?"

Diamond
*She.... peeked to Lily... and... and nodded, just so her eyes go wide at Anavel's words and she blushed and completely dissapeared behind the couch!*nhu uh! *coming out!!!*

Storyteller
"Here, let me help," Lily said, moving to help clean up and probably to attempt to assist in new food creation.

"Was it something I said?" Anavel said, looking at the rest of the group.

"She... has a thing for the Winter King, and was embarrassed by the actions of certain over enthusiastic friends." Richie said.

Anavel blinked at that. Then looked in Diamonds direction. Then back to Richie. Then to Diamond. "Nope. Get it out of your head, Diamond. He's way too old for you, and that's waaaay too weird for me."

"Richie, your not helping!" Mindy said, looking at him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ross entered into the kitchen area, looking over at them, "Guys, what's going on? Don't worry about the fancy stuff, just grab the raw fruit for now since she's here."

"But we were working so hard and it was gonna be so delicious..." Lily said, looking to Ross.

Damien Wetherford
"Basket on the counter." Damien tilted his head towards it, finding a towel to wipe his hands off on once the clean-up was done and offering it to Destiny in case she needed it as well.

When Lily came back in he paused, about yeah close to moving between her and the remaining fruit before Ross stepped in. "Maybe next time, Lily." Once he figured out what the hell she had done to the fruit in the first place, anyway...

Destiny
She offered a smile to Lily "Sorry hon, play host we got this"

Hearing about Diamond her head popped up and she glared at Anavel in warning. Then went back to what she was doing, giving Ross a grateful look, she grabbed up the raw fruit and eyed it before bringing it out

Diamond
*As Richie spoke she did let out a tiny eep* noIdon't!!!! *of course Anavel going at it too just made her wince more.... she should have not left her room!!!!... *

Storyteller
Lily paused and sighed a bit, before saying, "Okay."

She smiled, before moving out to the living room, "Anavel! Welcome. You get anything to drink or eat yet?"

"Working on it," Richie says, moving to the kitchen to get water.

Anavel smiled and then said, "It's okay, Diamond. I am sure they are just teasing you. Anyways, Lily said you guys were curious about the Courts?"

Damien Wetherford
Damien followed after Destiny into the main room, eyeing Diamond's hiding spot behind the couch with a small frown. "You good, Diamond?"

"I'm curious, yeah. Wouldn't mind knowing more before the Homecoming." He glanced towards Anavel. "Also...on that note, how much do the higher ups here know about us at this point?"

Destiny
She set the food on the coffee table and took a seat, she pulled out a flask, took a sip and leaned back.

Diamond
*There is a tiny peek towards Damien, just a peek of her head, and back into hide, nop, noppers, and she was staying put till Anavel left!*

Storyteller
"I guess it would depend. Strictly speaking, most agents and operatives don't pass along information freely to other Courts unless its necessary. You haven't met any of the Court of Madness that I'm aware of, so the Queen probably knows what she's heard in rumors. There may be lower courtiers who know more than her at this point. The Summer Monarch gets her information from Leone, so its safe to say she and her operatives know a thing or two regarding you guys but... there are a lot of Fae so I doubt they are really concerned at the moment by anything besides your number and the interest of other groups. I couldn't say what the Spring King knows, at all, because his information comes from the Prince of Whispers. And the Winter King has... whatever he reads in my reports, I suppose. He must have taken notice though, because you said that he got Mindy a card?"

Lily nodded.

Anavel smiled, and said, "He's a busy man, so it was a great honor for him to personally come to meet you, much less give you a means to contact him. But - if you want to know what you need to know about the Winter Court, I'm more than willing to discuss the Court of Shadows with you. Do you have any questions, specifically, about us?"

Damien Wetherford
The Darkling paused as Diamond briefly peeked out and retreated back into her hiding spot, waiting a moment to slide in behind the couch beside her. He doubted he would be able to to coax her out at the moment, but he could at least keep her company.

He nodded quietly at Anavel's answer, although the mention of 'her reports' caused his eyebrow to arch. "You're with the Winter Court too? You don't feel the same way he did, though..."

Diamond
*oh Great... Anavel with the King, she KNOWS about the comments, and the King came himself!!! she groans and just curls behind her hiding spot, using Damien as a secondary hiding barrier given he was coming alone, a little groan of 'Earth swallow me' coming out from her, she'll even bury her head behind the pillow she had been hugging*

Storyteller
"Noticed that 'air' about him right? Mighty kingly, isn't it? I'll bet he hid his crown though to not give away the game," She smiled a bit, and said, "He can't hide it's presence as well as he used to be. That stillness. You see, when you swear into a Court, you make an oath. As I'm sure you know, when you make an oath with fae magic, its more than a promise - that oath becomes a part of you. Even if you break it, the oath is never nullified, its merely.... changed its parameters. So when you join a Court, you make an oath into that Court and it changes you in the process. Like Bargains, this Oath helps our society hide from the Keepers and their minions. But when you make it, you gain an air of that Court. Something we call a mantle. The deeper your connection, the stronger your mantle. Of all the Courts, the Winter Court is the most subtle. Most new members are confused for Courtless because of it's subtlety. You'll see it more keenly if you piss off a Winter Courtier than anything else. They say if it gets to the point you notice the blizzard forming around you, it's time to run.

"When we're not pissed though it's pretty much just... clarity. The details on us are more focused, more clear. I've heard some people call it 'starkness'. Things stand out more, which I guess makes us stand out less. I have seen a few that are more... defined? Like, deeper shadows - more depth and shade - that kind of thing."

Damien Wetherford
The muttering earned a small smirk from Damien, along with a whispered "It's alright..." before he looked back towards Anavel. The talk of oaths and bargains made some amount of sense, considering what he could recall of the tricks that he had picked up while in Arcadia, and the description of the Winter mantle definitely matched what they had seen in the bar. "Got that feeling off of him, yeah. The rest of the bar seemed clearer for him being there."

"How do the Court oaths help fend off the Keepers, though?"

Diamond
*she shook her head, not alright, NOT alright! a muffled sigh against her pillow*
Your friendly neighborhood Latin Nerd
"Pay no attention to the man behind the Storyteller!"

Jakondite
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Courtly Inquiries [Log: Damien, Destiny, Diamond]

Postby Jakondite » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:00 am

"Well... there are a lot of things about it that make it easier to fend off the Strangers. Keep in mind, your swearing to something not unlike the ways you swore in Arcadia... but its something that's not theirs. Something that is ours. The Keepers have all the powers of the Regalia, but typically, not all the powers of the Courts. We have access to magics that you wouldn't be able to claim while there.

"Then there is the more pragmatic things that help: numbers. There are hundreds, if not thousands of the Lost in the New Haven Region. If I had to guess, because a census couldn't really be made, I'd say that seventy percent of them fell into the Traditional Courts. Divide that by the four, and you got hundreds of like minded people you can find a common ground with and watch your back.

"Then there is the changing of seasons, and how it affects the outsiders. See, when the Courts were founded, each one used the laws and rules of Arcadia to bind the Strangers to certain frailties - rules and bans they and their servants cannot break during that season. Actually, may as well give you the list of what those rules are since we're here - you might get it repeated when the other courts talk with you about their groups. So when Spring is in power, the Keepers, Loyalists, and others can't take you at all, unless them taking you is born out of a true and honest desire. Like, if you were the Keepers favorite toy, or something like that. During Summer, they can't retreat at all - they must continue a fight until they or their enemies have fallen. During Autumn, they have to announce themselves before making any form of attack. And during Winter... well, they can make their attacks but after.... after they can't make any future attacks unless the first is met with an honest and real expression of sorrow. Which... for the Strangers, is almost impossible.

"Worth noting, are any of you your Keepers 'favorite' or have any reason to believe an extra eye should be kept on you during Spring? They have a list of people like that, and the Freehold tries to make sure that those people are good during that season."

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Damien Wetherford Damien nodded along to the explanation, although his eyebrows went up in surprise when she mentioned the number of people like them in the area. It felt like a lot, even with the area being as populated as it was; then again there had been hundreds of other pieces where they were alone, so God knows how many people had been taken to Arcadia as a whole over the years.

He made a mental note of the guidelines that the Gentry would have to work by, filing that away for the time being. The talk of favorites made him pause before he shook his head. "Not on my end, at least from the Keeper. The guy on our side of the board liked using the knights more often than not, but far as I know he's still in there."

fairfolk

Postby fairfolk » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:49 am

Destiny

She had been about to tip the flask back again but paused "Thats...rather interesting that they have the power to do that" She lowered her hand, and watched them "What are the other courts?" They had her full attention now. Even if her eyes where a little glassy. She looked around the room and then back "Id suggest keeping a eye on the queens" She said almost softly, "And maybe Diamond. I dont know that anyone was their favorite but...I know they are worth more"

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 am

Anavel nodded, and said, "Alright. That's good to know. Typically, I think when they refer to desire they think things like lust, or playmates. Fairests are often the most common people to fall into that category, but obviously not the only ones. If you feel that the Keeper might hold some desire for any of you, of the 'want to steal your heart' before growing bored of it and using it to string a violin variety... then it'd be good to keep a closer eye on you guys during the Spring Time. Not... that I'm worried. You guys' buddy system is smart to start off with. Unnecessary at that time, except for them."

She looked over to Destiny, and asked, "By other Courts, are you meaning like non-seasonal? Cause if so, it's... a bit much to go into. The Court System doesn't always ascribe to the four seasons, depending on what Freehold your in. It's just the most common system, but there are as many as there are religions, I suppose. Courts are typically formed when you take something big conceptually - like Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring, Dawn, Dusk, North, East, South, West.... you find this powerful representation of that thing, and you take that concept to bind itself and form your Court. I heard one Freehold even designed their courts on the tide level of their local area. Then some are almost completely seasonal, but their seasons work differently - for instance, one location might have a Tornado Season so - binds itself to Tornados. Tornado Court." She grinned, "Not gonna lie, sounds cool."

"Ours is... Kind of like the last actually. It's almost a typical Seasonal Court, but there are differences culturally here that you won't find in other locations. Hell, there is even a rumored Fifth Court these days, though Leone swears it's just a name that loyalists use to refer to the Bridge~Burners."

"Loyalists?" Lily.

"Bridgeburners?" Ross.

"Oh. Sorry, right," Anavel said, shifting a little bit. "Courtless, essentially. I mean, not all Courtless are True Loyalists, the term is a catchall for the groups to look out for and to be on guard around. The whole concept of the Freehold exists to express a haven to the Lost, a measure of community and safety to help people. Some people, for whatever reason, choose to walk their own path, avoiding relationships with the workings of the courts for... whatever reason. And Bridge~Burners are... essentially extremists terrorists. I'll... I'll shelve questions on them for Leone, maybe, when you guys study the Summer Court, cause I'm betting it will be her that talks to you about it and she's ... had to deal with a few."

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:28 am

Damien Wetherford Damien eyed the flask that Destiny brandished, frowning quietly as the fog finally seemed to part. The fact that she seemed to constantly be at least one sheet to the wind was starting to concern the Darkling, but now wasn't really the time to bring that up.

He nodded along to the explanation of the other courts, smirking a touch at Anavel's assesment near the end. "That is kind of cool...guess the important thing is finding something that'll act as a shield against the Keepers overall, yeah?"

His eyebrow arched a touch at the unfamiliar terms, although the others beat him to the questions he would have asked. "And a 'true loyalist' is loyal to what, exactly?"

Elsaa

Postby Elsaa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:31 am

*When they focused on speaking and no longer on her, she did eventualy peeked, but said nothing, just heard, and waited for the others to ask!*
riddle for mortals... or riddle for gods...?

fairfolk

Postby fairfolk » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:15 am

Destiny

"Seems so" She muttered to answer Damiens question, he was right it was cool. She tilted her head curious as to what a loyalist was herself.

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:32 am

Anavel hesitated a moment, as though trying to figure out a way to express this to a group of people who were already fresh from the hedge, and who didn't need any more reason to be afraid of the world than it was. But honestly, if they hadn't figured out some people might be like that, they lived in a far more blissful world than most of them did. After a moment she said, "Them."

"Them... Like... Them them?" Ross asked. It was almost like speaking another language. The 'Them' in this case could really only mean one thing. The effect isn't panic. It's... a solemn sense in the air.

Them.

They called the people who still served the Gentry loyalists. They were Loyal to Them.

"Okay," Victoria asked, "Why make a distinction between True Loyalists and others? And why would courtless in general be applied to anywhere near that level of..."

She didn't finish the word. Maybe she didn't know the word. Treachery? Weakness? Could you be treacherous to those you didn't know? Was it really right to call it weakness?

Anavel looked to her, and said, "Well... there are a lot of ways you can end up coming back, and still... serve them. The Courts exist to protect us from them, but also serves to keep us as a community. If someone sells someone to them, in exchange for their own protection or... whatever you might sell someone to them for, they are a privateer, but they aren't truly loyal. If someone is a bridge burner, they are dangerous to other fae, but they aren't truly loyal to Them. True Loyalists are those who... for whatever reason... are actually loyal to their Keepers. And Courtless are like... the people who, when they see there are an Us and a Them, decide they are neither Us nor Them. And when the Them is the Keepers, that's not a fence you want to straddle."

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:14 am

Damien Wetherford Damien nodded slowly at Anavel's response, the gears clearly turning in the Darkling's mind. He couldn't imagine maintaining that kind of loyalty to something that tormented people like them as brutally as the Gentry did, but no matter what reasons they had it didn't make people like that any less of a risk. "Have you had any issues with folks like that cropping up lately?"

Return to “Changeling”