Catching Up [Attn: ST]

What do you choose? A poisoned rose, or a knife in the shadows?
QuicksilverFox85

Re: Catching Up [Attn: ST]

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:54 am

Damien Wetherford
Darkling Hunterheart | Wyrd 1 | Presence 3 | Eidetic Memory | Fast Reflexes 1 | Iron Stamina | Lethal Mien | Trained Observer 1
"Ah...gotcha." Damien nodded, mulling that thought over. "Have to wonder. The way the tech worked there was...weird, from what I remember. Might be able to pull something like that off."
Your friendly neighborhood Latin Nerd
"Pay no attention to the man behind the Storyteller!"

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:17 pm

"Technology worked the same way everything worked. On agreements. Our Contracts were, in essence, technological by nature," The pawn said calmly. "Our crafts were as well, a part of the rules and the system and the way things worked. Honestly, they were... actually a lot more simplistic than this vast world beyond the hedge. Things worked the way they do because they've agreed to that system of how to do things. Here, there are too many elements to really quantify and nothing works exactly the same way."

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Damien Wetherford
Darkling Hunterheart | Wyrd 1 | Presence 3 | Eidetic Memory | Fast Reflexes 1 | Iron Stamina | Lethal Mien | Trained Observer 1
Damien sat back in his chair as he thought on that concept, eventually giving a small nod. "True. In my opinion that complexity makes it...better, almost. May not be as easy to deal with sometimes, but you have more choice in what you do."

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:11 pm

"More choice in what you do... You think so?" He looked to Damien, and said, "I would think it'd be the other way around. People don't have the options we do now. We don't have the options we used to, but that's circumstance more than agreements - outside agents working against us in a lot of ways. But with the Wyrd, we know kind of what we're dealing with. With other things well... you don't. Do you really have more, if you do not understand or know what it is that that 'more' can do?"

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:11 am

Damien Wetherford
"I do, yeah." Damien nodded, looking Artie over. "We didn't have much choice in what we did while we were in there, especially when we were on the board; we got told to move, we moved, and we knew exactly what we would be doing once we did, no matter how much you didn't want to. We may not know exactly what the other end of the equation will look like here, but we have the ability to choose what we want to do a hell of a lot more than we did in there."

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:39 am

"I don't think we're having the same conversation here, Damien," Artie said, swerving to look over to him. "I'm not talking about now versus back in our durance. I'm talking about before our durance, versus now. But - that thought process raises a curious, and a bit intimidating question - if we truly had no free will, no choice at all back when we were back there, how was it that we managed to escape? Did we not all choose to do that, in that moment?"

How had that happened, anyways? The memories are chaotic, and swerving. Not something that had really been addressed or talked about - the moment when suddenly it was no longer about the war effort, and everyone was fleeing for their lives, casting a die into the great unknown.

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 am

Damien Wetherford
"Ah...gotcha." Damien nodded, mulling that over. "We do have different tools available to us now than before we went, plus not being, well, kids." He allowed himself a small smirk. "I do still think we have more choice now, even with the odds stacked against up at the moment. We're able to find new ways to put ourselves back into the world if we want to, rather than being stuck with what we had before if we don't want to go back to that. I know I don't, personally." Except for one part of it, at least...

The follow-up question rerouted his brain from focusing on that particular facet of his old life, the Darkling going quiet as he thought over what he could remember from that moment. "I remember someone yelling out to run," he said quietly, the recollection slipping through his fingers like smoke, "but I don't know what it was about they saying it that let me do it. Next thing I knew I was moving, staying in the back to make sure that people didn't get left behind."

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 am

"Indeed. For all the issues that we went through, we have access to a tool set and plethora of rules that... comparatively to the mundane world - are simplistic. I mean, it's not simple, it's very complex, but its easier to grasp and understand." He breathed in, and thought.

"We don't question it nearly enough, I think. We don't want to look at what happened and talk about it - at least, not too deeply. Because it was hell. I mean, what else do you call it. We're soldiers who were drafted into a war that didn't fit the rules this world gives to war, without right nor privilege, for a country that not only wasn't our own, but you could argue didn't exist. And we come back, and like them, everything changed - only, we brought it back with us - and no one noticed we were gone. And we brought back enough of it with us that we're scared that by dredging it up and asking questions, we'll bring back even more. But... I want to know.

"Only Thomas and the Black King could have given us the -Command- to Run. At least, as far as I know. But neither ever did - at least, not for Pawns. We could only advance, never retreat. Shock Troops, I guess. So it was a weird thing for me to hear at the time, and ... I don't think it was a guy who gave the order. I remember thinking it was a command for someone else. Move on. Move forward. Never go back. But in the chaos, I found myself running too. More chaos in those moments than in every second there had been before."

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Damien Wetherford
"Hell's too nice a word for it, honestly." Damien replied with a frown, nodding quietly. "I'm there with you, though; I don't like not knowing, even if remembering it would be more painful than anything else."

"I know I told people to run on a few occasions because it would make things more sporting."
The discomfort he felt at how much he had enjoyed the hunts he had been tasked to complete was clear as he spoke, the Darkling sinking into his chair a bit in renewed revulsion. "Don't remember ever hearing it from them, though."

"...you know, I almost wonder if it was Lily, or maybe even Victoria."
He looked to Artie as the metaphysical lightbulb fired up, an eyebrow arched. "The last play I remember being called for was for a queen to take a pawn. Maybe they took what power they had on the board and used it in a way the kings didn't expect."

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm

"Always figured it was a part of the rules for pawns. Like, Rooks, Bishops, Knights, Queens, Kings - escape was an option if you could move in another way than forward. But for us there was only one path to take."

Artie exhaled, his eyes full of questions. After a moment, he said, "Maybe they found a loophole in the terms of the rules of the board we were playing on. You have to wonder..." He looked in Victoria's direction, who was busy looking into... whatever it was she was looking into. Almost like she knew he was watching her, her cold gaze shifted to Artie, sending chills down his spine as he immediately shifted his attention back to Damien. "One of them is here. Could try to ask. Though I think Lily would be more open about the conversation than her."

Return to “Changeling”