Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

As befitting their coastal location, the Hedge surrounding New Haven is primarily aquatic in nature, with the thorns represented by brackish water filled with hidden wreckage and hungry creatures eventually melding into towering forests filled with sharp brush as one moves farther inland. Some parts of the coastal area do not allow for passage on foot, requiring the traveler to either swim through the 'safe' waters or to have a vessel able to carry them across. A local motley called the Cartographers travels the area regularly, maintaining the maps used by members of the freehold to traverse the area as safely as possible. [Changeling]
Jakondite
Site Admin

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Jakondite » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:52 pm

The Ferryman looked at Elias, and considered. After a moment, he said, "Perhaps."

Not a clear yes or no. An open ended statement, since his other price had not been brought up. "My counteroffer is fairly simplistic. I will barter the cast of slaves to your care, for the freedom of one whose trust you bear, the relic, and the use of your crew and ship to an unnamed task."

Tags:

Colibri

Postby Colibri » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:53 pm

Elias found a cold sweat forming on his man-back and his lower body hairs rising up where what was left of his human spine met with furred cephalopod body in reaction to the Ferryman's stated price. That was not the answer he had been hoping for but he was shrewd enough to know that with any dealings within the Hedge, one of the Lost such as himself would probably get the worse of anything. The Royal Tar relic was something he could readily part with and happily so; to even suggest bondage of his own, his crew, and...quite possibly the Angel who had put trust in him and her charge was untenable. He knew it, the Ferryman knew it, and at that point Elias realized what a dangerous and splintered barrel he had put himself over. Glancing at the bottles on the table and their shrunken contents, it was not a fate he wanted for his crew and the Varangia.

Taking a deep breath, Elias braced himself for what was coming next. "That, Lord Ferryman, is a hard price to agree to. I never make a ships' agreement without the majority opinion of my crew, and they trust me to treat fair with 'em. Them slaves are already such, an' I ain' goin' to add to their number, eh, no matter how used up they are to me and how willin' I am to buy the worst of the lot. As far as the girl, there is something I can add onto the relic as payment for her -- you're a businessman, and you want that edge against competitors. As a service I can offer, I can tap a rare talent an' give a reading of what the future holds for you or a favored merchant of your choice within one cycle of the Moon, Lord Ferryman."

The negotiation pricked Elias' Ogre nature, the one that was created by pain and granted him the terrible knowledge of to inflict pain was to know suffering of one's own coil within his breast and hiss its delight at his increasing discomfort and feeling he had caused more misery for the slaves by stepping up for the right thing and fucking up miserably.

If not....well....there was always another course to take but it wouldn't be a smooth one.

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:16 pm

The Ferryman let out an icy chuckle - contrasting the fiery crackle his voice seemed to give. "Unnecessary. I have many futures - an interpretation of one or two will do me no good, especially when there are slaves just as capable."

Boney fingers tapped the booth's wooden side, as though considering. "You seem more interested in the girl, than in the rest of the slaves. Would that be an accurate assessment?"

Colibri

Postby Colibri » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:10 pm

"Would be a fair assessment, Lord Ferryman."

Elias rubbed his bearded jaw for a moment, then, "Right, let's shelve the other slaves for now. The girl? I'm willin' to hear what you have to say about her. Maybe a deal can be worked out that will leave all parties satisfied."

One of his tentacles waved in the air as he fished out two cigarillos from his shirt pocket and offered one to the Ferryman. "Care to smoke while we carry on this gentlemen's discussion, Lord Ferryman? Them's good stock, picked 'em up in the Miami hedgeport years ago. May even be Cubans."

If Elias' demeanor was casual to say the least, and he wasn't showing any signs of fear in his dealings, it was a good show on his part. Thank God for Ogre fortitude. Inwardly he was wondering how long the Ferryman was willing to entertain the discussion, or, even worse and probably so, what the entity was going to do when its patience ran thin.

The bottles were a reminder of what could happen should he scuttled/slithered afoul of the Ferryman's course.

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:22 pm

The Ferryman looks between the two of them. Rose is watching him, careful - her eyes have now taken on a golden hue, alert. He looks down, and says, his voice crackling, "No thank you. It does me no service."

He reached under the counter, and laid down three pieces of parchment. They had no words on them - least not until one touched them, and those words formed. "The girl's name is Elena. She is considered a high quality slave," Though - let's be honest here. This was a goblin market, you could have a ninety year old man hacking up blood and they'd claim it was 'high quality' to get you to offer more. "Her permanent service requires a permanent profit - I would recommend a temporary loan in your case. Or a trade of an able bodied individual we both agreed was worth her."

He looked to Rose, then to Elias. "I would rather we come to a mutual agreement, ultimately though. Conflict rarely breeds business, unless one is dealing in arms. Another individual might bring me one to replace her with - or pay a piece of their future for her time. I have... three types of deals that I would be willing to consider for her."

He reaches over, and pulls out a few pieces of parchment. Contracts of a more literal sort. "Talk about it among yourselves, if you desire."

The first contract seems to work as a form of trial. Either you, or Rose, would undergo the training they place the slaves in to teach them obedience. The contract mentions that if you manage to retain your will through the training, you were free to go - but of course, with faerie magics at their disposal it was impossible to say that such training -could- be gone through while maintaining one's will. Of note - it's written in such a way that you did not actually have to place yourself as the one undergoing the trial.

The second contract is probably one your more used to - it exchanges something immaterial for her. For the girl wholesale, the paper says that something like Rose's voice will do - a unique attribute that belonged to the one offering it, freely given. For the girl for a loan, however, it suggests bits of your future - a day of your future for a week of service. It asks for a year of your future for the girl wholesale. It does list your object there among the list of items that the Ferryman will accept - but it says that it will only get the girl for a sum of three years. A key note to consider in this is that the 'loan' that the Ferryman speaks of doesn't actually require you to return the girl. He simply will hold on to all the years of her life that you have not bought and - if not returned - the girl will expire.

The third one is an exchange of services. It only lists one request: It requests the murder of a politician who has offended the Ferryman.

Colibri

Postby Colibri » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:21 pm

As Elias studied the contracts, his brow furrowed in deep concern.

And not a single one of these are agreeable.

With his highly probable at this point immortality, the best way to go would be to offer up a year of his own life. His abyssal Keeper had pretty much ensured that he was going to be forced to sit through a long and not entirely happy story, and being an Ogre he knew damn well that any ending to it would be in a haze of rage, pain, and the final knowledge of no matter what, even the brute fortitude he had been granted would not save him. With all the stories he had witnessed, the long gone faces and having to watch everything and everyone he had cared about pass away maybe having his story shortened by a chapter would, and oh it was an attractive one, make for an acceptable payment.

He was old, he was experienced, and he wasn't naive enough to pick up the bait of what would look like an easy challenge. The week of being taught a slave's obedience was just another Durance, and with time being an abstract concept at best within the Fae lands, he could wind up being kept for far longer than seven mortal days. The skin beneath his octobody-pelt shivered at the thought of facing more time as being chattel and deliberately putting himself into that situation.

And he wasn't about to toss anyone into irons. His soul be damned if he did something that made him as vile as one of the Gentry or their servants.

Murder....? Elias had put an end to more than a few privateers in his lifetime, and enough blood had been spilled on the Varangia's deck, his and that of others, to pen a book indicating he wouldn't be squeamish to handle a job where there was an overall threat to his people. The Freehold. He wasn't inclined to kill anyone over a dispute he - and probably no other Changeling - had a role in.

Havin' morals is the difference between man or monster, so....no passage to that one.

"A moment, Lord Ferryman. Might I consult with my associate?"

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:23 pm

"Of course. Take your time." The Ferryman said. You could not see a face in that shadow beneath the hood, but there was certainly an air like he might be smiling. Something in your response was, to put it plainly, the kind of response he had wanted to see when your eyes looked on those contracts. He takes a step back, allowing you to approach the shining host without too much interference from him.

"If I had to take a guess, nothing worth the trade?" Rose's voice is soft enough, an attempt not to carry. It fails miserably - her voice is so beautiful that it could be a whisper and the world would stop to hear it. Ambient noise literally drops as people hesitate to continue speaking while she speaks, just to unconsciously grasp at the sounds that she makes. She makes a motion so that she can see the contracts for herself?

Colibri

Postby Colibri » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:58 pm

"Of course. You may have a better eye for these things than I do. So far....hm. On m' own end have to ponder it a bit."

To lose a year of an imposed longevity....to have his being forced to watch all that he cared about pass away as time progressed lessened if only by a bit was indeed a tempting thought, but....and Elias saw the caveat in it having played the pledge and bargain game for a very long time....which year? Would it be the year that saw him conceived and carried by his mother, thus ensuring that he would have never existed? Would it be the year after he returned home maimed from The Great War, that saw the ultimate act of despair that resulted in his having a monstrous body at constant conflict with his scholar's soul? Would it be the year where all of a past Court fought privateers and the Varangia's decks ran red with blood and Elias....ripped another Ogre's heart free from his breast and devoured it in a fit of blind red rage when one whom he cared for deeply was murdered before his eyes?

Stop thinking about what the cost would be on a personal level you old scuttler. Don't flinch at the table, and it's all worth it to save an innocent from those things you, and Rose, have suffered from. Move that heaven and earth, get her, get Rose out of this, Safe Passage be damned, it's the right thing to do.

Settling himself down on the ground, his tentacles curled for comfort, Elias watched the Ferryman and Rose as she perused the contracts laid out before her.

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Rose took her time looking through them all. Carefully taking notice of the minutia of each contracts. She tacked on names for each of the contracts in her head. The Trial, the one where one of them was taught obedience by being a slave would be the Contract of Wills. The one where you traded future for the girl would be the Contract of Years. And the final one, the one where they killed someone for her - the Mercenary contract. After a cautious look over all of them, she said, "They are all traps. Every single one of them. Not that we were going to get something better than a trap, but he's intentionally keeping things vague and undefined so that he can have space to move with his demands. The contract of a year for the girl is the most dangerous, by far. It sounds like it's taking off a year of longevity, but with us our longevity may as well be infinite - so it likely refers to a different aspect than a year off your life. The second most dangerous is the contract where we put ourselves in service for a week. It plays off our arrogance, to think we would be capable of resisting such training over such a short time. The least dangerous is the murder contract - but then, I'd want some details before I personally agreed to killing anyone.We'd need to set limits on his 'choices' for damage control. Things like how it can't be anyone we know or personal, or something like that."

She sighed, offering Elias the contracts back. This would have been easier, she realizes, if they had started with blowing things up. Not that she couldn't still, but now the Ferryman was half expecting it. The element of surprise wasn't there and - her eyes caught the Ferryman's shadow.

She was confident she could take him - after all, she'd challenged Keepers to one on one battles and came out on top. The problem is that this wasn't a one on one battle, following the rules that the Kindly Ones have to follow. It was the middle of a goblin controlled city, and she'd be fighting one on a hundred. Two on a hundred if Elias joined her side, but did she really want to hold the responsibility for his life like that?

That would be a difficult battle - not impossible, but difficult. And all the while, she's aware the Ferryman is still expecting it.

Her eyes look to Elias, as she whispers, careful about her wording in case her voice traveled or those who could hear whispers were about,"If none of the contracts work... you may need to return to your ship to ensure your safe passage."

"I'd not recommend that," The Ferryman said, casually. He'd heard, which clarified a point of curiosity for Rose. "Not that I wouldn't entirely expect it of you - but it -is- against the rules what your thinking little miss. And while that may seem trivial to you, it will have consequences far more reaching than any of these contracts might have for you. It would be deeply unpleasant for all parties involved."

Colibri

Postby Colibri » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 pm

"Enough. Ain't a one of them all that wonderful, but, as it is in for a penny or a pound. Bein' partners and all that."

Elias inclined his head towards Rose, his tentacles scrabbling on the floor as he reached for the table to pull himself up. He was a leader and not so much a follower, but a wise man knows when to take a hint and grant passage to the knowledge of another. As he saw it he had no choice but to go along with what the Angel had suggested in so many words. With the pledge of Safe Passage he - and by extension his crew - and her fates were tied together for good or ill on this enterprise. With the promise of violence and how his Seeming was hardwired to make use of it, to bolster oneself for further exertion, perhaps there was hope yet that things could be resolved if not in a pleasant manner, then at least a productive one. If this rival was another hob, well, sod him. The biggest crooks in the world were politicians and a possible hob player in the game would only combine the worst natures of both. Elias had time for neither.

"A few details about the third contract, Lord Ferryman. I want to know more about this rival of yours, and what he's done to put himself in your misery. Let's start with this - is he from this Side or the Other?"

He leaned on the table, his expression taking on a certain character that was a good distance from his not a care in the world demeanor from a few minutes earlier. If anything he seemed to take on a more hardened appearance, as though the crushing pressures of the abyss had crept into his flesh and toughened it against what the Ogre knew, on an instinctive level, was going to happen in the not-so-easy scenario playing out around him.

Return to “The Hedge”