Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

As befitting their coastal location, the Hedge surrounding New Haven is primarily aquatic in nature, with the thorns represented by brackish water filled with hidden wreckage and hungry creatures eventually melding into towering forests filled with sharp brush as one moves farther inland. Some parts of the coastal area do not allow for passage on foot, requiring the traveler to either swim through the 'safe' waters or to have a vessel able to carry them across. A local motley called the Cartographers travels the area regularly, maintaining the maps used by members of the freehold to traverse the area as safely as possible. [Changeling]
Jakondite
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Jakondite » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Rose
Wyrd 5 | Fairest Windwing | Presence 4 | Striking Looks (Advanced) 2 | Enchanting Performance | Elegant Protection | Blessing of Protection
The slaves nodded, moving in the direction that Elias had suggested. The young girl kept checking back at them, as though curious what was about to happen. Really, it was likely they all were - but she was infused with more 'hope' than any of the older ones. The benefits of youth.

Rose smiled to Elias, and said, "I can understand the sentiment. I will follow your lead."

The trip is not a long one, but it's not a short one either. The town almost seems to come alive, or at least the eyes do. It was the size of the purchase, in the end. The number of slaves that Elias was reaching for was bound to cost, and even a single slave was not a cheap endeavor. Many might be wondering what it is that the captain planned to barter with - if he'd have to put some back, and compromise his morals... or maybe it was the woman at his side that drew those gazes. She keeps her cloak down, a pale light making it slightly harder to discern her features in totality - mindful of the gazes that fell on him.

If Elias permitted, she would offer her assistance in carrying the object - but barring that, would not speak for the moment lest she cause his thoughts to falter to distraction.

Tags:

Colibri
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Colibri » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:53 pm

"...redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris."

Elias looked at the Angel for a moment, then, "Miss, I appreciate the offer but what's in this box ain' fit for the fair hands such as yourself have. It's a thing of old, long sufferin' and it holds...impressions, I think the words are, of such a terrible night for man an' beast. I ain't touchin' it without gloves, it's that cruel an artifact." He paused, then, "Forgive an old sailor his notions. You have been made to suffer once in this place. Let me handle this burden."

If Rose was to notice, he grimaced as he made his scuttling, slithering way across the rough stones and over whatever detritus had been tossed into the path leading to the Ferryman's place of business. Though the Ogre would not confess it, the land which he had once strode upon as a human had become an alien place of scuffing, awkward and undignified movement. The water, and the locomotion of a creature created to live in that environment was his lot now.

"As we are in this....endeavor together, it seems t'is only fair I tell you my name. You can call me Captain Wakefield. If you like, wish to share yours with me?"

As they walked, Elias studied the landmarks leading away from the Varangia to the Ferryman's precincts. If he had to fight, so be it. There were enough tricks in any Ogre's blood and bones to increase his odds in a physical context, and if he was to get into the water, God helped anyone who was foolish enough to follow him in. Even in the flotsam and slick surfaced murky harbor water one of Elias' kind was going to be a not so easily disputed king of that environment.

:
"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's"

Jakondite
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Jakondite » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Rose
Wyrd 5 | Fairest Windwing | Presence 4 | Striking Looks (Advanced) 2 | Enchanting Performance | Elegant Protection | Blessing of Protection
The girl looked to him for a moment, as though quietly considering. After a moment, she said, "Most people call me Rose."

As they walked, they would approach the center of the city. Market Stall after market stall, each with a variety of different items. Slaves were a big trade, but so were certain unsavory hedgefruits, spices, memories... the merchandise was no where near the main Market, but it could serve immediate needs. They know the stall they are approaching by the shadowy figure which haunted it's center. Not quite the fantastical hobs many might be used to, the Ferryman was more a reaper - as his name suggested. Cloak and bone, faceless figure.

His stall though is fairly interesting. He sells bottles on display - each bottle with a little ship inside of it. If you look closely enough, you'll see the waves inside of them - and the crew that's been shrunk down. Bottles, and of course passes. Little pieces of... not paper. Recognition - symbology - to get you through to dock to the major market. He looks in your direction - but does not speak, waiting instead for you to.

Colibri
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Colibri » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:11 pm

Elias removed his cap as a show of respect as they approached the Ferryman. On the Varangia he was the end all and be all of authority under the maritime laws of mortals, but here he was outranked by the Ferryman and his immediate subordinates by a whole different level. Indicating his shirt pocket, Elias removed his harbor token by way of establishing his bona fides, "Lord Ferryman. I'm Captain Wakefield, master of the steam tug Varangia, and I'm truly grateful for your attention an' valuable time in settlin' this matter of goods left adrift."

Pausing for a moment, Elias glanced at the bottles and their tiny contents, then found himself wondering how the waltz with this particular devil would turn out. If he was lucky, he could make it out of there with his intended "purchases" intact. If not, and this was the more probable outcome, he would be grateful to the Wyrd and his Lord God above if the Varangia could get underway and out of the harbor to the safety of the Iron World without any interference.

Jakondite
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Jakondite » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 am

The Ferryman
Size 7
The cloaked figure towered above the two of you. It looked down, fiery orbs that may well be it's eyes taking in your countenance. It speaks, but it's voice is less human and more... like a crackling fire whispering. "You wish to discuss the matter of my slaves, cared by the rule breaker. You want them all?"

Colibri
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Colibri » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:17 am

Elias looked over at the slaves and did some quick mental figuring.

"To the first question, yes, Lord Ferryman. As to all of the slaves, I think that one is off the table for negotiation, eh. The girl..." he made a passing gesture with one of his tentacles in the direction of Rose and her companion "....I believe is spoken for, bein' compensation for the Lady's injury inflicted by your associate, servant, how that relationship lies. The others....I see a few strong backs in that mix, but a number of them are old an' ganted up, not much worth in feedin' em, I say, but still, salvage it is an' salvage what I do for m' livin'."

He paused, then, "I hope we can come to an arrangement, Harbor Master."

Jakondite
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Jakondite » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:52 am

The Ferryman
Size 7
"The only compensation offered is the satisfaction of knowing that the punishment to those who breach the rules is far worse than the pain of the crime." He pointed to Elias, "Nothing is free, Captain."

(Quick query - did he not send the slaves to head over to the boat while he dealt with the Ferryman? Or were they supposed to be travelling with them?)

Colibri
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Colibri » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:18 pm

"I see. Perhaps this is of some interest to you then, Lord Ferryman? T'is a memory of a long forgotten tragedy, affectin' man and beast, their souls flown but their emotions as they breathed their last and burned or drowned have become attached to it. 32 mortal lives and all animals lost. This is a relic of the Royal Tar circus steamship fire, 1856. I hope the vintage is to your liking?"

Opening the box, Elias held it so that the Ferryman could see the burned and warped rigging block and a charred...bone? section of tusk? fused to it.

:
He looked over at the slaves, then, "Start movin', you. Gotta make sure this claim is legal an' all that."
Yah, he did. He said so in the last post of this thread on pg 1 :)

Jakondite
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Jakondite » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:35 pm

The Ferryman
Size 7
"Hmmm." The reaper looked over the merchandise . Beneath that hood, it's impossible to read it's expressions. "It is a valuable piece - but not valuable enough for the entire stores of the Pork-Hag's slaves or even a small part. One slave's worth - maybe. "

I have an alternate price however. For the lot of them.

(Okay - I just got confused with the last post. In that case, Rose is by herself - the 'companion' went with the rest of the slaves. They are also probably outside range of vision as we're in the center of the town rather than near the port :) )

Colibri
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Colibri » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Elias took a deep breath as he mentally invoked the Golden Rule of Negotiating: never let them see you sweat.

"A single slave.....there was a girl my associate had an interest in. Small thing, not much of a wisp really, probably wouldn't be much of a hard keeper. A deal, perhaps -- that relic of misery for the kid?"

He glanced at Rose, then, "As for the lot, let's talk terms. You've merchandise that you want to move -- at the least the old, halt and overused slaves -- and I can put em' to work for what they have left in them. No more than broken-down equipment that I'm used to dealin' in." He made a gesture towards the edge of the booth, then, "I'll give your offer a fair listen, Lord Ferryman. Perhaps we can profit mutually."

Inwardly Elias wanted to puke. He hated privateers, had fought them for much of his life outside of the Hedge, even bore a letter of marque from one past Freehold granting him the law-at-sea in terms of pirates, and here he was trying to play the role of something he utterly despised.


Return to “The Hedge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest