Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

As befitting their coastal location, the Hedge surrounding New Haven is primarily aquatic in nature, with the thorns represented by brackish water filled with hidden wreckage and hungry creatures eventually melding into towering forests filled with sharp brush as one moves farther inland. Some parts of the coastal area do not allow for passage on foot, requiring the traveler to either swim through the 'safe' waters or to have a vessel able to carry them across. A local motley called the Cartographers travels the area regularly, maintaining the maps used by members of the freehold to traverse the area as safely as possible. [Changeling]
Jakondite
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Jakondite » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 am

There is a pause - the kind of pause that felt like the Ferryman should be laughing, but wasn't. He was thinking about his statements, carefully - and after a moment, he said, "The individual is one of your kind. You will find them in the Ironside."

Tags:

Colibri
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Colibri » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 am

"Uh...huh." It was the same non-committal answer that Elias gave to every question that forced him to take a hard look at his better judgement.

An Ironside politician, and one of their own kind. That could mean anyone within the Freehold, and knowing full well that the very foundations of that sanctuary were built on polite agreements and the understanding that an armed society was a polite society would throw a clinker into the firebox for just about the entire community. Was he willing to sacrifice the lot for the rescue of one? Was it a decision he was prepared to make, to open the door for the enemy? He knew in his heart, or possibly both hearts, that there was no choice. None. No high flags of heroic morality were to fly this day. The needs of the many and outweighing the few. It took a real bastard to put that moral dilemma on paper. Elias had to admire the fortitude of said bastard.

His hands tightened on the edges of the table, the wood protesting at the stresses being placed on it. And suddenly, in the midst of a building Ogrish urge to slam the table and really tip whatever hand he had left, an idea took shape.

There was another way, and it was one that would probably ensure that he would wind up a wanted man on the waterfront of just about every Hedge port between Maine and Rhode Island. He glanced at the token he had shown to the Ferryman upon their arrival, and decided, fuck it, maybe this should have been done a long time ago. A wanted man and possible hero of the Seelie Court? Elias had been considered worse over the course of his long life. At the very least he could tell himself that he had gone for a course that felt right at the time.

"And here I fold, Lord Ferryman. At least on m' own end, but, if my associate wishes to move forward, then who am I to hinder it?" He gave Rose a pointed look, one of his tentacles curling and pointing up the lane in the direction of where they had first met. "I'm bound to give you Safe Passage, miss. That is what I'm obligated to do, but, and forgive us for taking up your valuable time, Lord Ferryman, I think we should trouble you no more. Our purses ain't deep enough for it. As compensation for this generous time and unfortunate impasse I give you the Royal Tar relics. Perhaps we can meet again, and may the circumstances be more profitable at that time."

Reaching up and knuckling the brim of his cap in a recognition of the Ferryman's authority, he turned and gave Rose a subtle nod over his shoulder.

Jakondite
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Jakondite » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:25 pm

(Sorry this took so long!)

The air seems to go cold for a moment - the unspoken future of what has just been levied down, and the consequences that will come of it, are clear even to the Ferryman. Of course, the rules prevented him from acting pre-emptively, but he did say, "Very well. Then some of my own will go with you to fetch the slaves. If you wish to change your mind, do keep that in mind."

Rose breaths, not seeming as though she's keen on the Ferryman's words either. She looks to Elias, before speaking softly, "I am going to also offer a gift of my own for the Ferryman. It will take some time to complete. I will meet you on your ship - can you make sure it's ready to go swiftly?"

Of course, this was not going to be how this all ended - Rose had no intention of giving up the slave girl - after all, she'd given the girl her promise. She smiles, and says, "If you would have it, Ferryman - I would like to offer you a song, as token thanks for your patronage and willingness to grant us audience."

(Also, Colibri - would there be a time in the future where we can set aside time for a scene on chat to do combat? If not, would you prefer we used Down and Dirty rolls for what's about to happen, and used narrative prowess to express the direction of combat? :) )

Colibri
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Colibri » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:09 pm

Elias found his pelt starting to bristle at the idea of having to be escorted back to his boat and fought down the urge to hand his token over to the Ferryman with a physically impossible suggestion of what to do with it when Rose's oh let me hear that sound when I die voice caught his attention. For a moment he paused, his eyes taking on an almost searching quality as he desperately wanted to hear her sing as well, but maybe....just maybe....and he could feel his own hope building that perhaps he could ask for a song should he survive, his crew survive, and they were away and safe. For now, what she could offer was for the Ferryman's ears or what passed for them.

"I can, Miss. She's 'bout ready to go anyway. But I ain' fond of havin' leave you with no escort with this lot of rogues. Rogues worse than I am, an' that would be sayin' something."

He fixed their surroundings with an appraising Ogrish glower, hoping that someone would feel hard enough to go against all rules of the port and try something stupid that would only serve to make Elias feel like answering with all his Seeming's might at his disposal. First move was on the house, a defensive response would be his counterpoint. One of his tentacles swept over the filthy surface of the public walkway as he kept a watch for their unwanted companions.

All right, all right, who's going to be the first pisshead to step up...?

Jakondite
Site Admin
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 am

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Jakondite » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:23 pm

The walk trip wasn't far, naturally. It could feel far, sure - but ultimately, it was only a minute or so's walk to the east of the center of Freedom Harbor. The east of the stall where Rose prepared a beautiful song, ready as a gift to the Ferryman. You quickly lose the image of her from your vision, beneath the sea of people and stalls - the vendors who sold their wares of people and dreams. The memory of the voice still rings in your mind though, the words repeating themselves - distracting to say the least.

The people who approached you did so in stride. You notice the hob escort as a single entity at first - a muscular creature who was likely one of the security here. He's dressed for it, anyways - leather and plate armor, an axe not sheathed but in his hand. He's green - his head the head of a toad, but his eyes like a fly's. His tongue hangs slightly out of his mouth, a green fluid dripping from it slowly. It hits the ground and sizzles just a bit, before vanishing and leaving a hole where it sizzles.

Two more, smaller creatures walk with you as well. One of them is hairless, his skin leathery and ears pointed. His eyes are a deep shade of red, and his head is covered in the skull of another larger creature. Little bombs are aligned on a belt, but he's armed with ... well, to him it's a sword, but to you it's probably a knife.

The final 'escort' was a medium sized creature, the top half humanoid - and the bottom massive, like the expanse of a six legged spider. In fact, one could probably jump on the chassis as a secondary rider. The top wasn't a person, so much as a crow - and it's arms are thin poles which attach to what looks like blades.

They don't move too close, but it's clear as day: No one is under any illusions you intend to leave peacefully. The rules of the goblin market are all that stop them from attacking, waiting for you to make the first move to permit them to levy the goblin market's punishments.

People are watching too. They are ready for a fight. Ready to see some action occur. You can see your ship from here...

(ST Note: If your characters action is to attack, he may make one and -then- roll initiative. The Toad has a defense of 6, the Drider a Defense of 5, and the goblin 4. Similarly, he may make any movement action instead or - basically gets a free action as the security ensures to follow goblin market rules.)




A ways back, at the stall of the Ferryman...

Rose had not immediately began her song. The Ferryman was busy putting away his merchandise, to avoid them 'breaking' for what was about to follow. She waited patiently for him, of course - there was an audience, for one, and for two well... she needed to give the Captain time to make it to the ship before all hell broke loose. As he set his ships into a locked container, his voice let out a little crackling sound, "I can't convince you to change your mind?"

"Honestly... I should have started with this." Rose said quietly, but her voice resonated with all the power and force that a legion of angels might have to bear. "It was unfair to both of you to waste your time with bartering. Our values will simply not parallel."

The Ferryman nodded, and said, "Well - I will take solace in the fact that I will both get to hear a lovely song - and get to have a new slave worth well more than the rest of my stock combined. What will merchants pay for such a flower?"

She grinned, and said, "Careful. This rose has thorns."

"Indeed. I've done a bit of gardening in my time, however. I think I can manage plucking the thorns off a Rose. In fact - I look forward to it."

Rose smiled.

The air went still - and silent, for the briefest of seconds. A slow beat starts to form around her, with no discernible chorus. She starts to sing, and the sound which leaves her lips is insensate. The song is something that feels punk rock - and it gathered the eyes of everyone in the vicinity. It travels, too - even further than another voice might. It's effects resonate in the onlookers - it makes her untouchable. But more than anything else...

The slaves were listening.

Spoiler:
Management:
0 | 08/15/2017 12:58 pm Jakondite has rolled an Presence + Intimidation + Wyrd + SL roll (12 dice), getting 6, 10, 7, 4, 9, 2, 10, 3, 3, 6, 2, 9, 4, 6, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Jakondite has 4 successes.
Management:
0 | 08/15/2017 12:59 pm Jakondite has rolled 10 dice, getting 9, 3, 3, 10, 3, 9, 5, 2, 9, 10, 5, 2, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Jakondite has 5 successes.
Management:
0 | 08/15/2017 1:06 pm Jakondite has rolled an Ferryman - Resist roll (18 dice), getting 8, 4, 6, 7, 8, 7, 1, 3, 4, 9, 6, 6, 9, 10, 3, 10, 4, 5, 6, 3, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Jakondite has 6 successes.


Watch me get it get it wrong at the top of my lungs
While you front for every one, while you tip toe for fun
I can scream until your ears bleed, you're gonna never hear me
You hear what you want, but you never wanted me

Careful, you don't wanna mess up, do you?
Fake brave face, I see right through you
Standing in place 'cause
Denial is the way to go, at least that's what you told me, so
Cover you ears when you don't wanna know
For whatever you hear you're held responsible


(ST Note - All Allies Gain the "Inspired" condition)




Ahead, on the ship...

The slaves had already been moved to the ship per the captains orders. For the most part, they were quiet - resigned, awaiting their fate. Some were hopeful, of course, but others figured that more than likely the captain and the angel would not be able to afford all of them. The only one who really had a 'ticket' home was the girl, which earned the girl no amount of glances. They had no emotion, but if they had - one might guess envious, disdainful, or untrusting.

The girl, still bound by the gold collar, paces quietly on the deck. She's waiting for the Angel and the Captain - or for the Angel to sing. She doesn't, of course, know how she was to follow the Angel's instructions - only that she must.

And then it happens - she hears a sound coming from the center of the slave town - a sound that travels impossibly far for what it was. For a moment, she is captivated. Invigorated, even. She wants to stop everything, if only so that she could hear this sound. She could die happy, if she fell from the boat right now listening to this upon her death bed.

It's the glance to the water - and seeing the captain in the distance - that reminds her where she is, and what she was supposed to do. She runs - to the nearest crewman, with a desperation. "We have to go! Or prepare to go or --"

She looks to the market, and realizes that some of the hobs were actually moving towards the ship itself. Fear clutched her quietly, as she gripped the side of the ship.

She wasn't going to back. The Angel said she was taking her home. She was. Not. Going. Back. "They are coming!"

Are you scared you might open your mouth
And feel the horror if nothing comes out?
Do you think you're safe, frozen in place?
Run for cover just in case


(ST Note: Feel free to write of course for your ship and the crew. This is purely narrative, and requires no rolls)

Colibri
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Colibri » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:19 am

It had been said, from one Freehold to another, and wherever Elias Wakefield set his anchor, that the old Ogre had probably forgotten more tricks than a man could hope to learn in his extended lifetime. He regarded his hob escort with the sort of patient scrutiny that only an old fighter who had experienced firsthand the results of impulsive reactions could muster, and decided that he was going to try what could only be called a False Flag tactic. At the very least he could hope to buy some time for the Angel and his crew.

Again, to even ask why or how an Ogre could survive so long would simply be a fool's mission. It was best to acknowledge the fact that he was indeed there, and alive, and as crafty as only a tenured Changeling could be. Ogrish elders were not to be fucked with.

"Well, anyway. You want to be doing whatever it is you do, an' I want to be shoved off an' out of the harbor......oh."

Elias suddenly shuddered, reared backwards and fell on the ground with an audible thud. The 'larger than life' trait that all Ogres walked with did its part in conveying the perception that a mighty oak had fallen in a filth-ridden forest and with a flailing of his tentacles Elias moaned loudly and lay still. Inwardly he hoped that his performance scared the shit out of his escort or at least brought a crowd.

Even better if one of them took the notion to kick and poke at him to confirm if he was no longer amongst the living. It wasn't a direct breach of the rules, and in fact while the thought was tempting he had timed his fall in such a way as to avoid squashing the little prick with the steak knife. Somebody was bound to screw up and he was glad that for once in his long life he wasn't going to be the guilty party of breaking the house rules. Hobs could be their own worst enemies when it came to taking advantage of something, and as far as Elias was concerned they really didn't need his help when it came to doing that.

:
Management:
08/25/2017 1:52 pm Elias Wakefield has rolled an Play Dead (Subt + Manip) roll (3 dice), getting 3, 6, 9, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Elias Wakefield has 1 success.


Meanwhile back on the Varangia:

The boat was being prepared for war. Sandbags were being brought up from below to protect the ports and wheelhouse windows, all of the hatches were being secured and anything that could be used as a weapon was being collected in the saloon (crew quarters). In short the crew was hustling about, trying not to draw any attention beyond what was going on deck as a standard work day's activity, but it was what was going on down below and behind the hatches that told the story of the words that had been exchanged between Elias and his first mate earlier.

"Oh yeah. But don't you worry none, kid. I wouldn't underestimate the skipper." The Silverback Beast paused in his work and looked in the direction of where the girl was pointing. "Captain Wakefield is pretty square with his dealings and if he gives his word to something, then, that's how it's going to be. He'll be back soon and maybe....just maybe....oh it will be a good fight and a show. Speaking of which. When we get ready to pull out, I want you an' anyone else who ain't crew to get inside the deckhouse and lie down on the floor. This boat was built to go out on the ocean and its hullwork is thick steel over wood. It should offer some protection should things go to a bad way. Probably. These places ain't the easiest to get away from if the locals get stirred up. Hobs are a prickly lot. But then we're a pack of right bast....er, we can give back and then some."

The hulking Beast grinned, showing sharp yellow teeth, then, "I'm Furhman, the Deck Ape. What's your name, kid?"

Colibri
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Rocking the Boat (Rose Mood / Open)

Postby Colibri » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Freedom Harbor:

Elias had collapsed, and of course the collapse had garnered itself not a small bit of eyes, to say the least. Which was surprising, because most eyes seemed compelled to the music that was playing from the center of the Town, her voice so powerful that it made concentration hard. The small one, the goblin, looks over his body - shifting between him and ... the sound behind. He shakes Elias, and the others seem... distracted with trying not to be distracted.

When Elias doesn't move, he shiftily starts ... well, he starts doing what would otherwise not be a crime - if Elias was not alive. He starts pulling his pockets for whatever might be 'worth' something.

Elias Wakefield:

Elias continued with his playing the role of a dead market patron and it was an effort to not rise up and knock the too quick with its paws hob across the harbor. It was one of the oldest tricks in the book....Elias was an Ogre, true, but he was also a good deal's worth of stealthy sea-predator as his Keeper had made him. Many an unwary fish had met its end when it poked at what appeared to be a dead octopus, right?

Freedom Harbor:

Filching through Elias's pockets, the little goblin becomes a bit more brazen in his search - a bit less lax. It's only then that the drider realizes what he's doing, "You there! Step away from him!"

It's probably too late now - this close, hands literally in the cookie jar of any pockets Elias might have

Elias Wakefield:

It was probably a masterful stroke in his performance that Elias attempted at that very moment. He had lived for a long time, and seen enough bad ends to know that a body had a tendency to release all manner of unfortunate substances upon being made to join the chorus eternal. It was disgusting, it was foul, and the hob deserved to get a boot full of....and Elias had to piss anyway....a vile concoction of urine and yes, the proof that Elias did indeed have an ink gland attached to his bladder. If he lived, it would make for yet another yarn he could share with the lads at the galley table.

Freedom Harbor:

There is a howl from the goblin as he lurched back in disgust and rage and - perhaps exactly what Elias had hoped would happen - angrily moved to kick the 'dead corpse'.

(Let me know if Elias applies his defense before I roll)

:
Elias Wakefield:
09/17/2017 1:17 am (Whisper to Freedom Harbor) Yes, he does. DEF of 2

Management:
09/17/2017 1:18 am Freedom Harbor has rolled an Strength + Brawl + Prone - Defense roll (4 dice), getting 10, 9, 9, 5, 8, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Freedom Harbor has 4 successes.

Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 1:19 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) *blinks at dice roll.* well. Not what I expected >.>

Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 1:19 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) wait. Your defense his higher than two. This is 2e. You add athletics

Management:
09/17/2017 1:19 am Freedom Harbor has rolled an Reroll roll (2 dice), getting 5, 9, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Freedom Harbor has 1 success.

Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 1:20 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) 1 bashing

Elias Wakefield:
09/17/2017 1:20 am (Whisper to Freedom Harbor) (it's been a while, athletics plus DEF?)

Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 1:22 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) The Goblin's Defense is 4.

But yeah 2e defense is determined as the lower of wits/dex + athletics.

Elias Wakefield:
09/17/2017 1:25 am (Whisper to Freedom Harbor) Okay, so I would roll dex and athletics?

Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 1:28 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) No, it's still subtracted - unless your dodging (which uses a different rule - effectively, instead of doubling your defense and subtracting that, you double your defense and it becomes contested instead)

Management:
09/17/2017 1:39 am Elias Wakefield has rolled an Wits 2 Ath 2 roll (4 dice), getting 1, 6, 1, 9, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Elias Wakefield has 1 success.

Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 1:42 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) Out of curiosity maybe we're misunderstanding something. What are you rolling for?


Elias Wakefield:
09/17/2017 1:42 am That fucking hurt. The blow had landed just shy of his gut and the Ogre's act fell apart. Sitting bolt upright, he whipped around on the hob, then, "You. Little. Shit."

:
Elias Wakefield:
09/17/2017 1:42 am (Whisper to Freedom Harbor) Remaing still *facepalm*

Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 1:43 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) LOL I see.


Freedom Harbor:
That's about when you feel it. It's a wave of power - it feels like a wave of brilliance, strength, and power that fuels your veins - pumping through the air. The music you were hearing was already inspiring, but this isn't a signal like the music was - no this was something else. This was a sensation of the Wyrd being called. Above, you can see the stars starting to spill, like a meteor shower and a bright neon sign saying 'I am here'.

This power was potent. Maybe even more potent than Elias' own Wyrd - the stars are moving as far as your eye can see, in the sky.

"Oh shit! Your alive!" The Hob squeels, trying to rob the ink out of his eyes while he points his knife in your direction. You could focus on beating these three up - however - if you did not make haste to your ship, and Rose ended up fleeing from her current position only to find they had to wait for you, it could be costly to your crew.

As the music in the distance heightens, a call to fight, a call to arms - a beautiful scream in defiance of the Ferryman and his whole city - not of terror, but of rage. And then...

Elias Wakefield:

He was going to seize the hob with his tentacles, oh, how badly he wanted to do that, but his attention was drawn to what was happening over the harbor. "Ah....er. Well. I would like to continue this conversation, but I think you lot have a bigger problem to deal with than gettin' a faceful." It was beautiful, it was terrible, and Elias could feel it digging into his body. "Fuck this for a lark, maybe we can take a check on this one. The weather ain' lookin' so good for fightin'." He was superstitious, had seen far to much to call an argument, and his need for survival outweighed his Ogrish desire for a fight. Tapping the brim of his hat, he scuttled and scurried away from the hobs hoping to gain the familiar security of the Varangia. Hopefully whatever it was had a notion to deal with a rulesbreaker than him. In short, he was both in awe, and terror, of what he could not explain nor could he remember such an experience.

Freedom Harbor:
A second pulse of power floods the city, and this one is -far- different. The stars that fly through the sky begin to blink out - and you can hear them scream in agony. The sky -bleeds- at this second presence, renewing Freedom Harbor's blood soaked rains and creating scars that look like clouds. All hope dies in the presence of this horrific sensation, this knowledge that the Ferryman would take his toll - and his toll was your freedom, your sanity, and your very right to die.

Rose's music is warped, and a second, almost demonic voice begins to match against it - a cacophany of sounds and crashes that seem almost like a mashup or duel. What had to be happening over there, as the crashes and the sound of metal resonate in tune to a song that may as well have been choreographed or -planned-. It fades, and her's over takes with her song - before it's countered once more - a duet, a dance - and it's hard to call it a battle without being over there to see.

People are moving - and that's to your luck. There is chaos in front of you - you could book it straight, and make for the Varangia, or you could weave through the traffic of people - try to create a distraction, or - how to get forward was up to you, but as you run, you realize that they are following, and they are following fast.

...With the exception of the small one. He was pretty slow. But the drider moved over one of the stalls, climbing effortlessly and traveling sideways to follow you - and the frog one hopped pretty fast.

(We now enter into a chase. You may use Stamina + Athletics to run - though, if you like, you may also use literally any dice pool you like so long as you can make it make sense - for instance, you could use a presence + intimdation roll to clear a crowd and get through faster. Whatever dice pool you use, your opponent has to use as well :) So you can be imaginative with it or simple)

:
Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 2:13 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) (It's an extended roll - 7 successes will reach the Varangia, but the same from them will have them get there. It's a race! XD)


Elias Wakefield:
09/17/2017 2:21 am He had to get to the Varangia. There was no other option he could come up with. Once aboard it would be a matter of knowing his ground and not being adrift in theirs. In short it would be the Ogrish equivalent of hemming a bear into its den. "OUT OF IT! HELL IS COMING!! MOVE DAMMIT!" he bellowed as he surged his way through the crowd.

:
Management:
09/17/2017 2:22 am Elias Wakefield has rolled an Intimidation roll (4 dice), getting 9, 1, 1, 1, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Elias Wakefield has 1 success.

Management:
09/17/2017 2:23 am Freedom Harbor has rolled an Frogger roll (4 dice), getting 8, 1, 8, 9, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Freedom Harbor has 3 successes.

Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 2:24 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) ... as an aside. You -do- have the inspired condition. You can expend it at any time you like :)


Freedom Harbor:
People move out of the way, but more because of the roar of a ribbit behind you charging like a ... bullfrog? We're going to call him a bullfrog now. You can feel his presence on your heel - and the drider has vanished for the moment. Somewhere in the background, a tiny little imp calls out, "Wait up guys... I... can't..."

... Tiny little imp needed to workout more.

An explosion happens behind you - you can see your shadow ahead of you, the light is so bright, and the Varangia in the distance.

Freedom Harbor:
Did I say you could see your shadow in front of you? No - it's more accurate to say that your Shadow has decided to abandon you here to your fate. You can swear you are no longer connected and it's trying to beat you there.

Elias Wakefield:
"Oh hell!" This only inspires Elias to push onwards towards the haven of his boat. Had he not used a foul tactic against the hobs earlier, he would not have been ashamed to let loose now. In short, he is Inspired...

Elias Wakefield:
...to haul ass that much more.

:
Management:
09/17/2017 2:38 am Elias Wakefield has rolled an Run Like Hell roll (4 dice), getting 10, 3, 9, 1, 6, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Elias Wakefield has 2 successes.

Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 2:39 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) *considers* You regain 1 wp, and... you know what, I'll give you the extra success to get the esuxx required. *nods sagely* :D


Freedom Harbor:
As you burst through, you manage to push someone to the side - and they go stumbling. It's an accident, probably, but he crashes into Bullfrog - causing him to recoil, and stumble back - falling. He gets up, qucikly losing ground, and roars as he follows you.

(No roll from antagonists this round. Drider is still unseen though *G*)

Elias Wakefield:
He was going to pay for this one dearly. Elias had come to accept the fact that he simply wasn't designed for what he was now pushing his body to do. The Varangia, his home, his haven was just within reach, and he felt as though all would be well, he could gain his sanctuary, and throw some admiralty law at his unwanted pursuers, to wit, he was on his boat and he was, for all intents and purposes once the lines were cast off, God At Sea.

:
Management:
09/17/2017 2:53 am Elias Wakefield has rolled an Run For The Gold roll (4 dice), getting 6, 5, 10, 10, 3, 1, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Elias Wakefield has 2 successes.

Management:
09/17/2017 2:53 am Freedom Harbor has rolled 4 dice, getting 2, 4, 7, 5, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Freedom Harbor has failed the roll.


Freedom Harbor:
You can see the Varangia, just off the harbor. It's within reach, and your quickly losing the Bullfrog. You hear a beautiful scream of agony in the distance, and a demonic, agonized howl matching it. The ground starts to feel like it's shaking - and one of the buildings starts to crumble behind you, cutting the Bullfrog off. He pulls back, and prepares to jump over the distance.

Whether the Varangia was moored or losing their moors was likely determined by the Deck Ape. The girl who had been there had likely been pressuring him to try to make sure that anchors were up and ready to book it the -moment- Rose and Elias hit the deck - though now, there isn't time to wait for Rose. If she couldn't make it, you'd need to leave without her or you -would- have a potential army (and even a god, if that second presence Rose was facing was anything to judge by...) coming after you.

Elias Wakefield:
"Oh thank you Jesus!" Elias was heading into the home stretch, he could feel it, and if the Deck Ape had done his duty as First Mate the Varangia had a full head of steam and ready to go. He waved a hand to the side, then, "Get that plank up! We got guests and hell to pay!" He bellowed, he shouted, he hoped that the Deck Ape and his men could hear him.

:
Management:
09/17/2017 3:07 am Elias Wakefield has rolled an The Final Dash roll (4 dice), getting 1, 1, 3, 3, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Elias Wakefield has failed the roll.

Management:
09/17/2017 3:07 am Freedom Harbor has rolled 4 dice, getting 9, 10, 9, 1, 1, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Freedom Harbor has 3 successes.


Freedom Harbor:
The good news is that they heard - and were already getting the plank up. The ship itself begins hoisting Anchor, and he can see people telling him to hurry. He can also see that the ship is not leaving as fast as it should - webs are being shot at it, holding it in place, and people are desperately trying to cut those webs as they form.

(One more roll - 1 success will get you there, fast enough that the Drider (who is there on the other side of the ship opposite you) is unable to successfully tether the ship before you can get it out away from the harbor. A failure will mean you'll have to deal with her first and cut her webs from this side to get them free *G*)

Elias Wakefield:
His ship. His Varangia. The fact that she was being held in place by webs that did not have his permission to be there only served to infuriate the Ogre. With an angry roar he charged towards his boat, determined to hold to his promise of getting them the hell out of there.

:
Management:
09/17/2017 3:27 am Elias Wakefield has rolled an One Good Sprint (1 WP spent) roll (7 dice), getting 4, 7, 4, 7, 9, 6, 4, with a difficulty of 8 on a 10 sided die. Elias Wakefield has 1 success.


Freedom Harbor:
As you rush, you manage to make it to the edge of the harbor - there is no plank to rush onto, so you are forced to make a massive jump with ALL of your might, barely hitting the edge of the deck before your men pick you up - seeing their Captain on board, they more eagerly swipe at the spiderwebs, while the girl that was being rescued cries, "The angel! Where is the angel?"

Elias Wakefield:
"Oh God, no!" Elias looked over at the market, his eyes scanning the crowd, then a hard resolve took his heart. There was no real choice, the Angel had made hers, and he had to shoulder his responsibilty for his crew and the precious cargo the Varangia was now holding. "I...maybe she'll be along soon, child. I hope for nothing more, and if not...." he turned to make his way up to the wheelhouse "....then I ain' goin' to rest til I honor m' word, if not for her, then for you."

Freedom Harbor:
The girl breaths, and looks over the edge of the ship, scanning as the ship moves as fast as possible away.

If you look too, you can see on the rooftops a figure - rushing and running across the areas, motioning for you to -go-. She's uncloaked now, and far more beautiful even covered in blood as she was - hers and the rain's. She reaches the last edge of a building, and - like the angel she is - unfurls her wings and flies in your direction, charging.

She'd land too - or so you might think, until a blast of black shadowy substance from within the grounds shoots forth and hits her in the wing, atrophying and infesting that glorious golden wing. It sends her from going straight to going more down - her free wing desperately flapping as she tries to manage for a crash into the Varangia...

Elias Wakefield:
Elias could only watch in horror as the Angel fell, then, it was another decision he made in a whole day's worth of them. There would be no time for gentle recovery. Without a word he pushed the helm where it would guide the Varangia, if not fully back to the dock then at least close enough to give the Angel a decent chance. He had promised what he could of safe passage and seeing that she had a hope of making it, he was not going to leave her there in that pit of hell.

Freedom Harbor:
She crashes - smacking past the funnel and onto the deck and at least three people move to try to -catch- her and miss as she crashes into the wood - indenting, but not destroying. She groans, and that groan in any other circumstances would be heartstopping.

Elias Wakefield:
Elias clenched his teeth - have to concentrate, navigate, get us out of here - even though his heart burst to leave his post and go to her side. Leaning towards one of the side windows on the wheelhouse, the Ogre faltered for a moment, knowing that to move an injured person was to risk further harm. "Hold fast and provide cover to her! We ain' gonna be long on this run!" The old steam tug's stack belched out black smoke as the engine did its duty and moved the maritime relic further away from the harbor and hopefully towards the Freehold proper where stock could be taken of the situation.

Freedom Harbor:
As the old tug boat makes it's escape, you can see Freedom Harbor... starting to rise.

The water pushes forward, sending the ship further away faster than ever - but not before you see what's -rising- out of that city. Less a town, less a harbor, and more... a being. You see the Ferryman rising higher and higher, only this time giant - his vision spanning the horizon, the very city on his back.

The massive godlike being lets out an angered roar at the two who would -dare- to do the damage they had to his city. It reaches out, and swings - sending a literal wave in your direction, crashing into the ship.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/d8pcDvwt0O8/maxresdefault.jpg

:
Freedom Harbor:
09/17/2017 4:09 am (Whisper to Elias Wakefield) (Side note - you can actually relatively easy escape from that - you are far enough away by the time it rises *G* But if you want to grab the guns too and go a-blasting with the cannons, well - that's an option too.)


Elias Wakefield:
Elias gasped and he could feel the hairs rising up on his lower body pelt in response to the vision of yet another example of what the world beyond the Hedge could throw at them. "No. You will NOT have this boat or any who sail on her this day. I forbid it. I am the Captain, we are at sea, and you have no power under the Law. I. Am. Done. with you and your house!" The Ogre forced the helm to go steady, putting his considerable might towards the effort, and he would not fail the challenge. Their lives depended on his lifetime's worth of skills built at sea.


Return to “The Hedge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest