Advanced Retainer

Jakondite
Site Admin

Advanced Retainer

Postby Jakondite » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Just a thing that I threw together a while back using the advanced / epic merit rules. This one is for retainer, since I'm sure that some people will want retainers with a bit more oomph than a casual mortal. There -are- rules regarding ghouls in the vampire book; Unless Tess approves this, this merit will not supercede those rules.

Retainer (Advanced, • to •••••)

Prerequisites: Retainer = Level

Effect: Your character has someone loyal to them who is more than just human. This individual may be a subservient ghoul, a loyal wolf blooded, a member of a Proximus Dynasty, or demon blooded offspring you have struck a deal with. For each dot in this merit, the retainer in question possesses one power appropriate to their minor template (Disciplines for Ghouls, Tells for Wolf-Blooded, Embeds for Demon Blooded, and Blessings for Proximus). Unless otherwise noted, this retainer is usually one applicable to your venue.

Drawback: Each group has their own drawbacks inherent to their nature - a ghoul needs to be fed, a proximi has a curse it needs to maintain, etc.

Retainer (Epic, • to •••••)

Prerequisites: Advanced Retainer •• or = Level, whichever is higher.

Effect: Your character has someone loyal to them who is wholly supernatural. This individual may be a kindred, wolf, mage, or any other major template. For each dot in Epic retainer and in Advanced Retainer, the character gains access to 1 of their respective Powers (Disciplines, Arcana, Gifts, Embeds, etc. Note with Mages that Epic Retainer grants Arcana, while Advanced Retainer grants rotes). In addition, the retainer is considered to have a supernatural advantage equal to half the rating of this merit, rounded up. Unless otherwise noted, this retainer is usually one applicable to your venue.

Drawback: Like with Advanced Retainer, each group has their own reasons this tends to be a risk - but the biggest one is that you have a subservient individual with their own set of powers. They have their own goals and their own reasons for being subservient - and many groups tend to find this subservience to be outside their normal function. A person with this kind of retainer needs to be aware of the retainers goals and desires, because otherwise those goals may one day turn against the master.

Tags:

fairfolk

Re: Advanced Retainer

Postby fairfolk » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this merit.

I know that it would be a good idea to try to keep the cross over minimal so that we don't have super friends right away, I worry that this merit would allow for just that.

QuicksilverFox85

Postby QuicksilverFox85 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:43 pm

fairfolk wrote:I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this merit.

I know that it would be a good idea to try to keep the cross over minimal so that we don't have super friends right away, I worry that this merit would allow for just that.

I'd say that you can't take an Epic retainer that's outside of your sphere, then. Advanced isn't as much of an issue, in my opinion.
Your friendly neighborhood Latin Nerd
"Pay no attention to the man behind the Storyteller!"

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:11 am

The merit isn't to allow cross venue things, actually. I mean, in theory it can; It's meant however to refer to those creatures who are within your venue. If they wanted a retainer who was outside the realm of that, they'd need to explain it at the very least. It's also dangerous, even for your own venue; it's suicide sometimes with other venues (Please. Thrall a Mage; I dare you. :-p)

fairfolk

Postby fairfolk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:15 am

So...

Basically if a Vampire wanted a Full on Vampire slave, employee they would take the second one?

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:45 am

Yes. You'll find this common with the Invictus I imagine.

They would take epic retainer, which has a prerequisite of advanced retainer 2, which has a prerequisite of retainer 1. So, the weakest possible vampire retainer is an expensive 4 experience to buy; But it's power level and utility is likely worth it, depending on the concept.

fairfolk

Postby fairfolk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:23 am

Then I have no issue with this.

Twinky

Re: Retainer (Epic, • to •••••)

Postby Twinky » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:20 pm

The problem that I can see with this merit is that you could potentially, and very easily, start with a "Retainer" that is more powerful than your own starting character. It also implies by the name of the Merit that said being could potentially be subservient to you indefinitely, which is not something I see any supernatural being doing. This may be better served by a "Favors" merit, with the dots reflecting either the competence of said supernatural being in comparison to your own, or the depth to which they are in dept to you [i.e. you either did something minor that requires repayment for a very powerful someone. Or you saved the life of a borderline helpless individual and they owe you a life debt.]

It'd reduce the chance of a nobody vampire coming in with a powerful werewolf as his personal killer to command and it'd more appropriately reflect the sliding scale of power.

Twinky

Re: Retainer (Advanced, • to •••••)

Postby Twinky » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:22 pm

Maybe I misread the merit, but aren't ghouls or wolfblooded already covered under retainers to their respective Splats? Or is that something I'm remembering from 1e that didn't cross into 2e?

Jakondite
Site Admin

Postby Jakondite » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:23 am

Responses have been moved to this forum, since the other forums are for approved sections and this is where we discussed it.

In response to Twinky's concerns - ghouls and wolfblooded are covered under retainers, however we feel that the rules for retainers either did not cover it or did not streamline well as it was. Since Advanced and Epic merits were a thing that was planned, this was a suitable option for how to use those advanced and epic merits - which are exactly as powerful as they are meant to be.

A vampire can start play with a more powerful vampire than them as a retainer (the same regarding a mage, werewolf, ecetera); The thing is that at the current rate that is listed in the above it would cost about 5 experience just to reach them being a supernatural, and would require a full 15 experience points which can be used to make the strongest retainer possible. Sometimes it does turn out that the people subservient to you are also stronger than you. This merit does require some explanation, and of course it has to make sense - like all merits, it can go away if the storyteller deems the situation not worth having the npc as a retainer, and then sanctity of merits applies; but at the end of the day it's 5-15 merit points you are investing into something that is inevitably.... not you, but the puppets you control :)

Return to “Custom Items”