The importance of Boons.

fairfolk

The importance of Boons.

Postby fairfolk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:37 am

As I played tonight with two new vampires, I remembered that in my history of both playing and running vampire, the sheer misunderstanding of the importance of boons. (Ill note it was not anything the players did just while we played it came to mind)
I have seen players refuse to exchange boons, and worse, refused to actually full fill boons making themselves boon breakers. And then when they are removed via staking or something (because sometimes it comes to that) they get upset.

Kindred are a distrustful lot and in order to really survive you have to be of value to someone.

It does often seem like when you are new to a city, that every kindred you meet is trying to fleece you for boons. And while that is true, I mean, vampires are nothing if not self serving, they are in fact actually doing -you- a favor. Not that they would ever admit that.

You might be asking how.

If you do not have boons you really aren't trusted. You have nothing, your a pauper and really you might not gain status as your word cant be backed. So when a kindred suggests a boon and its reasonable (trivial are indeed very reasonable) its doing you both a favor. Yes, a kindred can allow you to feed in their hunting grounds, yes a kindred can give you information, yes a kindred can take you, or give you hospitality but no one is going to do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

I just found that interesting and wanted to say my thoughts on it.

Twinky

Re: The importance of Boons.

Postby Twinky » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:01 am

Another thing about Boons. The more people you owe Boons too, or the greater the boons you owe, and you at least have some history of being the type who repays boons, than everyone you owe a boon too has a vested interest in seeing that you stay alive [or Undead]

fairfolk

Re: The importance of Boons.

Postby fairfolk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:57 am

o.O --> *points at twink* EXACTLY ..exxxxxaaaaaaaaaactly

Return to “Vampire: The Requiem”